Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking Marketing with Query Parameters

Level 2

Marketing wants to know how many product views, orders, etc. came from visits originating from a specific email or link.

For example:

• Marketing sends 1000 emails with the link www.mysite.com/promo1?campaign="free_ship_email"
  • 150 users click that link in the email
  • During those 150 visits, there were 320 product views, 145 cart adds and 12 orders resulting in $3000 in sales.

How do I report on this in Workspace? I am guessing I need to capture this value in an evar, which expires after visit, and add a filter for evar="free_ship_email" but I am not sure where to go after this.

FYI, I use Adobe Launch, not DTM. Any help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

first, check your initial URL, does not look valid...

back to your question: you best take "tracking codes", see here: How to implement campaign tracking code by steps using admin console in adobe analytics

steps in Launch:

1) create a new dataelement to grap the desired URL parameter from the URL

2) in your page load rule add the new fataelement to the analytics "set variables" into field "campaign"

short advice: before starting with tracking codes, best define a propper naming for both the URL parameter AND the values (tracking codes). this will save you a lot of work/problems in the long run...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

first, check your initial URL, does not look valid...

back to your question: you best take "tracking codes", see here: How to implement campaign tracking code by steps using admin console in adobe analytics

steps in Launch:

1) create a new dataelement to grap the desired URL parameter from the URL

2) in your page load rule add the new fataelement to the analytics "set variables" into field "campaign"

short advice: before starting with tracking codes, best define a propper naming for both the URL parameter AND the values (tracking codes). this will save you a lot of work/problems in the long run...

Employee Advisor

Hi Todd,

You'll first want to make sure you're collecting the 'campaign' query string parameter into a variable, such as Tracking Code or an eVar.

Once you know which dimension this data is tracked in:

1. Open Analysis Workspace, and create a new blank project.
  2. Click the visualizations icon on the left, then drag the Fallout visualization onto the workspace.
  3. Click the components icon on the left, then click the plus sign next to the list of segments.
  4. Label the segment 'visits from that one email campaign my marketers want'.
  5. Drag the dimension that you're collecting the campaign query string in (usually Tracking Code or an eVar), then set it to:
    Visit container where Tracking code equals free_ship_email
  6. Save the segment, then drag this segment above the fallout visualization where it says 'Drop a segment here'
  7. Under components, look for the product views, cart adds, and orders components. Drag each of them to the fallout visualization where it says 'Add Touchpoint'

And you're done! A lot of this is going to depend on how you're collecting that data, so the dimensions and metrics you use might be different.