Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking ID - Web View

Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We have a web view app and the external links within the app has Adobe's tracking ID.  Would we be able to track users from that?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I'm just going to rephrase this to make sure I have the correct understanding:

• You have a web app (with tracking in it)
  • And in that app you also have webviews, i.e. someone clicks on a link in your app (basically a normal web link) that opens in a webview within your app
  • You want to be able to track that user's journey from the App to the Web (and then back again)

Correct?

The WebView itself will actually use your website tracking... not the tracking from your app SDK. There is a feature in the app to append the Experience Cloud ID to the URLs being opened, and there is code you can add to the website to use that ID (instead of generating a new user id) that will allow you to stitch that user together... however, I am not sure if the two experiences will still create another UV (since the app UV is based on device, and the website is based on cookies). 

In my own implementation, I actually had our developers replicate something that a lot of social media apps do, and that is to modify the user agent string by appending a value to the end  (facebook adds stuff like [fban/fbios] to the end of the user agent). I got our developers to do something with our apps with a value I could search for, then I use a processing rule to look for that value in the user agent and populate an "experience" evar that tells me the view came from our "app webview", vs "native app", vs "website", etc

This way I can also identify all our webview data quickly and easily.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I'm just going to rephrase this to make sure I have the correct understanding:

• You have a web app (with tracking in it)
  • And in that app you also have webviews, i.e. someone clicks on a link in your app (basically a normal web link) that opens in a webview within your app
  • You want to be able to track that user's journey from the App to the Web (and then back again)

Correct?

The WebView itself will actually use your website tracking... not the tracking from your app SDK. There is a feature in the app to append the Experience Cloud ID to the URLs being opened, and there is code you can add to the website to use that ID (instead of generating a new user id) that will allow you to stitch that user together... however, I am not sure if the two experiences will still create another UV (since the app UV is based on device, and the website is based on cookies). 

In my own implementation, I actually had our developers replicate something that a lot of social media apps do, and that is to modify the user agent string by appending a value to the end  (facebook adds stuff like [fban/fbios] to the end of the user agent). I got our developers to do something with our apps with a value I could search for, then I use a processing rule to look for that value in the user agent and populate an "experience" evar that tells me the view came from our "app webview", vs "native app", vs "website", etc

This way I can also identify all our webview data quickly and easily.