Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking Feature Phone traffic on an XML web site : Possible?

Level 2

Hi there,

The community helped me previously in tracking feature phone traffic using an html image tag, which is working 100%.  The only problem now is that for some reason the company that built our 2nd brands mobi site developed it as an xml site. So an image tag is not an option.  Is it possible to track feature phone traffic on an xml site or is this totally out of the question?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Lisa,

If you want to track feature phones you could take two approaches in reporting without tampering with the implementation

1. Create a segment with operating system as NOT Android, iOS, Windows, Symbian, Blackberry etc as most of the smartphones are on these OS. The number not falling under these criteria can be taken as feature phones.

2. Create a segment having mobile screen size less than a particular size say 320x480 for example. Since feature phones generally have a smaller screen size than smartphones. 

You could then apply these segments in the reports you want to see. 

Let me know it this approach serves your purpose. 

TM

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Lisa,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by an XML site? If possible, you can share the website url here or send it to me in a direct message. 

Thanks!

TM

Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have messaged you with the URL and I can get more information on the site from the company that support it if needed.

Many thanks
Lisa

Level 10

Hi Lisa,

You have DTM implemented on the website and I can see the image request is being sent. Could you elaborate where exactly are you facing a problem ? 

Thanks.

TM

Level 2

Hi TM,

DTM unfortunately doesn't pick up feature phones due to them not having javascript capabilities, so I requested the development company to add a noscript html image to the site, where I was then told that their site is XML and for that reason they cannot add the HTML noscript image :-(

Did they maybe misunderstand what I was asking them to do?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it.

Lisa

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Lisa,

If you want to track feature phones you could take two approaches in reporting without tampering with the implementation

1. Create a segment with operating system as NOT Android, iOS, Windows, Symbian, Blackberry etc as most of the smartphones are on these OS. The number not falling under these criteria can be taken as feature phones.

2. Create a segment having mobile screen size less than a particular size say 320x480 for example. Since feature phones generally have a smaller screen size than smartphones. 

You could then apply these segments in the reports you want to see. 

Let me know it this approach serves your purpose. 

TM

Level 2

Hi TM,

I was originally guided in this direction by the community, to segment by OS, which seemed as if it was returning valid data, but then Business raised concerns when looking at the top visits by device (smart & feature phone combined). The iPhone is our top visiting device.... which makes sense for our high end brand, but our other brand should definitely not be showing the iPhone with the highest visit count.  This is the reason for then thinking that maybe DTM is not registering all the traffic, i.e. traffic that does not have javascript capabilities.  Applying a server generated image tag seems to be a good option to track this traffic, but with an XML site, that won't be possible.  Am I overthinking things here?

Thanks again

Lisa