Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking code with page views metrics

Level 2

Hi, I have a question.

Is this tracking code and Page views combination makes sense?

I usually look at Visits/Orders/Revenue however, number of orders are not a lot from the tracking code, however, I just wanted to present that page views contribution is quite huge.

Thank you!

Soo1_0-1643356398281.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you've figured out all of your business requirements and really want to report on page views per tracking code, keep in mind that tracking codes are basically eVars, so they persist beyond the initial hit where they're set. By default, tracking code values persist for up to a week (7 days) after they had been set.

Example:

Day 1: User opens Page A with tracking code "abc123". User then opens Page B. User then leaves the website.

Day 5: User then opens Page C. User then leaves the website.

Let's say your website only ever had that 1 user who viewed those 3 pages. And let's assume that your tracking code has the default "Week" expiration. Then when you run your report for Day 1-30, tracking code "abc123" will be reported with 3 page views: 2 from Day 1, and 1 from Day 5.

So, make sure you know what you're reporting.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

@Soo1 - What is the objective here? This report denotes the number of Page Views where that tracking code was either set or persisted from previous hits. If that's the requirement, the report looks good.

Community Advisor

I think here what you need is to formulate and validate which use case/goal/question you need an answer for. Depending on the question you are trying to answer the table you built might be the right answer.

So lets say:

How many visitors viewed my campaign at some point and used my site in the last week? 

In this instance using the dimension tracking code and the metrics Unique Visitors make more sense.

Has the campaign XYZ increased the traffic on my site ?

In this instance tracking code and page views make sense. If you see that the page view metric without the tracking code increases and the page views for the tracking code make up 50% of the traffic then you can assess that this campaign had a positive impact on your site traffic.

etc...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you've figured out all of your business requirements and really want to report on page views per tracking code, keep in mind that tracking codes are basically eVars, so they persist beyond the initial hit where they're set. By default, tracking code values persist for up to a week (7 days) after they had been set.

Example:

Day 1: User opens Page A with tracking code "abc123". User then opens Page B. User then leaves the website.

Day 5: User then opens Page C. User then leaves the website.

Let's say your website only ever had that 1 user who viewed those 3 pages. And let's assume that your tracking code has the default "Week" expiration. Then when you run your report for Day 1-30, tracking code "abc123" will be reported with 3 page views: 2 from Day 1, and 1 from Day 5.

So, make sure you know what you're reporting.