Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking Code Segments

Level 1

I'm finding a discrepancy between data retrieved with a tracking code versus a segment.

I'm looking for tracking codes containing the text string "aggr". If I use the typed-in filter box on the Tracking Code Report, it returns what I would expect.

I need this quite often, so I set up a segment that supposedly does the same thing:

SHOW visit TRACKING CODE contains aggr

And that's it. When I apply this segment, it does restrict the data but still pulls through all sorts of unrelated tracking codes... but the same total number of Visits!

It's baffling and possibly down to the way I've laid out the segment. Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Gary,

The reporting within the segmentation view is showing you the same visits as you note in total. However with segmentation if you choose a visit that contains a tracking code string 'aggr' and then run it against the tracking code report it will also show for those 'aggr' tracking code bound visits any other tracking codes that were ALSO bound to those visits and crossed with 'aggr'.

In other words you are viewing the report in two different ways which is why the results appear not to match (even though consideration is for the same 'aggr' visits):

1)Tracking Code report filtered down by 'aggr' shows only 'aggr' tracking codes ever since this is an explicit base report manipulation.

2)Tracking Code report with visits container using criteria of any visits that was bound to contain 'aggr' tracking code will also pull in any other tracking codes that were in the mix and bound for those exact visits.

As you can see the segmentation visits logic is more complicated than a straight filter of 'aggr' on the base report. This is again due to how visits can potentially have multiple distinct tracking codes bound to the same visit web session.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Gary,

The reporting within the segmentation view is showing you the same visits as you note in total. However with segmentation if you choose a visit that contains a tracking code string 'aggr' and then run it against the tracking code report it will also show for those 'aggr' tracking code bound visits any other tracking codes that were ALSO bound to those visits and crossed with 'aggr'.

In other words you are viewing the report in two different ways which is why the results appear not to match (even though consideration is for the same 'aggr' visits):

1)Tracking Code report filtered down by 'aggr' shows only 'aggr' tracking codes ever since this is an explicit base report manipulation.

2)Tracking Code report with visits container using criteria of any visits that was bound to contain 'aggr' tracking code will also pull in any other tracking codes that were in the mix and bound for those exact visits.

As you can see the segmentation visits logic is more complicated than a straight filter of 'aggr' on the base report. This is again due to how visits can potentially have multiple distinct tracking codes bound to the same visit web session.

Best,

Brian

Level 1

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't appreciated the scope of that, so thanks for clarifying.

Gary