Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Time Per Visit vs Av. Time Spent On Site Metrics & Segmentation Questions

Level 2

Hi,

Am looking to get average time spent per visit for a particular sales funnel on a website (path = from product discovery to purchase page) for scenario where a purchase has been made in same session. This so as to determine the average session time for users who make a purchase in a visit.

Am also looking to get data just for users who visited the pages within the dedicated sales funnel (which has a unique dimension) and not to include visits for users who may have entered funnel, left and visited other areas of site and then came back to sales funnel and made a purchase.

I have created a segment based on visits scope using  the dimension for the dedicated channel and where booking exits but this understand this segment would include visits to other areas of site that outside of  required sales channel.

Segment Questions

• If I need to just get data for users that have just visited required sales channel, would I need to add a container to segment that would exclude other sales channels?
  • If I did this would the segment just record visits for users who arrived directly on this sales channel and made a purchase and thus would exclude users who came from home page to required sales channel?

Time Spent Metric Questions

• I compared Time Spent per Visit vs  Average Time Spent on Site metrics and data returned for Time Spent per Visits was nearly double time of Time Spent on Site (seconds). Why would there be such a big difference? I looked at Adobe website and understand metrics are calculated differently (sequences vs visit count)
  • Which metric should be used to determine average session time where a purchase was made in same session for dedicated sales channel?

Definitions

• Average time on site = amount of time that passed between hits for a given dimension item
  • Time spent per visit = average amount of time that visitors interact with a given dimension item during each visit.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AG25 wrote:
  • If I need to just get data for users that have just visited required sales channel, would I need to add a container to segment that would exclude other sales channels?

Yes, it is sufficient to include your sales channel alone,

e.g. Sales Channel dimension equals my sales channel

@AG25 wrote:
  • If I did this would the segment just record visits for users who arrived directly on this sales channel and made a purchase and thus would exclude users who came from home page to required sales channel?

Broadly speaking, no, both scenarios would get included in the segment.

Specifically, it depends on the scope of your segment container. Segments allow for 3 scopes: Hit, Visit and Visitor. You'll also need to consider the expiration of your eVar (Hit, Visit, Never, something else) that you're using the track the sales channel.

Think about what Hit, Visit and Visitor mean in Adobe Analytics' context, and you should be able to figure out your segment. Tip: draw diagrams.

@AG25 wrote:
  • I compared Time Spent per Visit vs  Average Time Spent on Site metrics and data returned for Time Spent per Visits was nearly double time of Time Spent on Site (seconds). Why would there be such a big difference? I looked at Adobe website and understand metrics are calculated differently (sequences vs visit count)

Without knowing the specifics of your implementation, I'd say it's because of the number of sequences of the dimension's values that's causing the large difference. Review the example at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en#example...

@AG25 wrote:
  • Which metric should be used to determine average session time where a purchase was made in same session for dedicated sales channel?

Based on the information you've provided in your post, you could try this:

1. Build a Visit-scoped segment where Orders exists.
  2. Create a freeform table.
  3. In the freeform table, add your eVar sales channel as the dimension and Average Time Spent on Site as the metric.
  4. Add the segment from step 1 above the Average Time Spent on Site metric.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AG25 wrote:

Yes, it is sufficient to include your sales channel alone,

e.g. Sales Channel dimension equals my sales channel

@AG25 wrote:

Broadly speaking, no, both scenarios would get included in the segment.

Specifically, it depends on the scope of your segment container. Segments allow for 3 scopes: Hit, Visit and Visitor. You'll also need to consider the expiration of your eVar (Hit, Visit, Never, something else) that you're using the track the sales channel.

Think about what Hit, Visit and Visitor mean in Adobe Analytics' context, and you should be able to figure out your segment. Tip: draw diagrams.

@AG25 wrote:

Without knowing the specifics of your implementation, I'd say it's because of the number of sequences of the dimension's values that's causing the large difference. Review the example at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en#example...

@AG25 wrote:

Based on the information you've provided in your post, you could try this:

1. Build a Visit-scoped segment where Orders exists.
  2. Create a freeform table.
  3. In the freeform table, add your eVar sales channel as the dimension and Average Time Spent on Site as the metric.
  4. Add the segment from step 1 above the Average Time Spent on Site metric.