Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Support for Mobile implementation

Level 3

Hi,

I'm going to approach a project where I have to implement Analytics both for Web and App channel.

For Web channel I will define a data layer and by Launch I will define a new property where I will create data elements and rules to manage data. In detail by Data Element Type "JavaScript Variable" I will collect information and data from Web.

I trying to understand if a similar mechanism can be define for App channel where I don't see a Data Element Type "JavaScript Variable" or QueryStringParameter. Do you know if exists any similar mechanism? Any reference or link where I can understand the difference between Web and App implementation?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

If you are looking for a solution when the Analytics implementation in mobile app is managed in Launch similar to how it's working for web, then, unfortunately, the answer is No. You will need to define and pass all the data you want to capture in Analytics in the mobile app itself by using Mobile SDK.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

If you are looking for a solution when the Analytics implementation in mobile app is managed in Launch similar to how it's working for web, then, unfortunately, the answer is No. You will need to define and pass all the data you want to capture in Analytics in the mobile app itself by using Mobile SDK.

Level 3
Thank you for your answer. Except for Mobile SDK, is it means that it is not suggested to use Launch?

Employee

Building on Andrey's answer - the data you pass in via the Mobile App SDK can still mimic your Javascript schema, although it is in a completely different format (i.e. non-JSON)

Here's an example of the trackState function being used in an iOS app implementation, with a JSON-like schema:

ACPCore.trackState("PAGENAME HERE" data: ["page.pageName": "PAGENAME HERE",

"page.category.channel": "PAGE CATEGORY LEVEL1 HERE",

"page.category.l2": "PAGE CATEGORY LEVEL2 HERE",

"page.category.l3": "PAGE CATEGORY LEVEL 3 HERE",

"page.pageInfo.pageType": "PAGE TYPE HERE",

"&&products": ";PRODUCTID",

"productView": "1"]

);

Instead of using Launch to populate the Analytics variables, you would need to use Analytics' processing rules - available in the Analytics Admin Console's Report Suite Manager - to map the "contextData" objects (contained in the schema above, for example) to the various Analytics variables/events/etc.

Level 3
Thank you for your answer. Is it means that it is not suggested to use Launch?

Employee
You will still need to use Launch to setup a *mobile-based* property as well as the extensions that you will be using in your app (including Analytics). Launch will also provide (via the Environments tab/page) the initialization code that you will need to drop into your app. However, from there, you won't necessarily need to do much more in Launch itself. Data Elements and Rules, when it comes to an Analytics implementation on a mobile app, don't need to be applied as much as they would need to in a web-based deployment. The trackState/trackAction calls, which are a part of the SDK, in conjunction with Analytics' processing rules, could do all the heavy lifting. More information here: https://aep-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/using-mobile-extensions/adobe-analytics