Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

sudden drop in Direct traffic

Level 6

Hi ,

We are experiencing sudden traffic increase in SEO marketing channel and decrease in Direct traffic to the website . After reviewing the Marketing channel processing rule, I don't find any issues or update in the rule. This is happening from last two months. What could be the reason? and how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Pradeep

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you were to pull 2 types of reports for last 6 months..

Referrer type and referring Domains

This would hopefully show significant changes month over month.

The referrer type when you see that one month where traffic spiked one way or another try and correlate by domain to see if any special domain(s) are responsible.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you were to pull 2 types of reports for last 6 months..

Referrer type and referring Domains

This would hopefully show significant changes month over month.

The referrer type when you see that one month where traffic spiked one way or another try and correlate by domain to see if any special domain(s) are responsible.

Level 6

Hey,

Thanks for the response but I do not see any new domains introduced recently . is there any other alternate way to rectify this reporting error?

Community Advisor

Ok check referrer report to see if one or more specific referrers is causing this.

Also check your landing pages that may have a sudden jump in volumes as perhaps you are getting some type of double fire on a page?

Level 4

Few troublshooting things that I can recomment 

1. any overall change in traffic trends out side Marketing channel report number of UV/ Visits during the same period . 

2. Do find similar drop for Typed/Bookmarked in Referring Domain report not in Marketing channel report 

3. What level the Processing rule for Direct channel  and  SEO sits at ( Direct should placed last in the list) and  Does the channel has Override enabled or disabled  (Direct Should be disabled)?

4. What are rules set for both the channels if there are any overlaps ?