Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Sub-domain Property Creation in Adobe Launch

Level 1

Hi All,

Our company has xyz.com as primary domain and meetings.xyz.com as sub-domain.

Xyz.com implementation is quite old and difficult to manage if we start implementing meetings.xyz.com as well from same web property.

Is it good idea to create separate property in launch for sub-domain?

We would also need to do cross domain tracking in future. Will this type of implementation allow me to do cross domain tracking?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Strictly speaking, "meetings.xyz.com" is also under the same "xyz.com" and "meetings" hostname. It is absolutely sensible to have a different launch property for "meetings.xyz.com" if it is a "different" website.

How to count it as "different"? My general principle is that it has a different information architecture and different navigation.

There is no problem tracking across these two websites. Ideally, both use the same report suite then you can easily follow users from one site to another.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Strictly speaking, "meetings.xyz.com" is also under the same "xyz.com" and "meetings" hostname. It is absolutely sensible to have a different launch property for "meetings.xyz.com" if it is a "different" website.

How to count it as "different"? My general principle is that it has a different information architecture and different navigation.

There is no problem tracking across these two websites. Ideally, both use the same report suite then you can easily follow users from one site to another.

Level 1

Hi,

xyz.com is the hotel booking site and meetings.xyz.com is meeting room booking site.

The architecture is quite different. meeting.xyz.com is whitelabeled solution and managed by third party.

There is no direct navigation to meetings.xyz.com. User has to go through xyz.com then land on meetings.xyz.com.

Community Advisor

I support what @leocwlau said.. if the architecture is different enough, it warrants using a different Launch Property (so you can control the tags in isolation), but send the data to the same Suite.

I do this on our sites... but it does mean if you need to change, add or remove something from your tracking, you will need to make changes in each Launch property.

At the end of the day, this will really come down to your preferences and how comfortable you feel in maintaining your code bases.

If the main and sub domains are on a similar enough architecture, you may not need to have a separate property... but this isn't something that we can tell you, only you can determine that yourself.

There are pros and cons to each approach, and how the sites are designed coded will play an important factor in your decision.

Community Advisor

I think you may take https://www.adobe.com/https://experienceleague.adobe.com, and https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com as example.

There is no absolute answer but if I was the one doing the Adobe Launch setup, there will be one Launch property "Adobe Main Site" for the main site, and another Launch property "Adobe Experience League" for both experienceleague and experienceleaguecommunitites as they share the same architecture and navigation.

Community Advisor

Exactly!   There will be times that the domain and subdomains (or two subdomains) are using a similar code and architecture that allows you to use one Launch property (why add the extra work when you don't have to). But other times where you still want them to track to the same suite, but the code base is significantly different enough to want to split them to use different Launch properties... 

Only through knowing your sites can you really make an informed decision... there is no "absolute answer" to quote @leocwlau