Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Soft Login Tracking

Level 2

Hi

I would like to know how it is possible to track the soft login visit (when it remains logged in for 30 days) in Adobe?

Thank you.

Kr,

Greg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Are you talking about a scenario like:

• Day 1 - User is not logged in
  • Day 2 - User logs In (moved from logged out to logged in status during the visit)
  • Day 3 - User is still logged in
  • Day 4 - User logs out (moved from logged in to logged out status during the visit)
  • Day 5 - User logs In (moved from logged out to logged in status during the visit)
  • Day 45 - User is logged out (their 30 day session expired, no explicit log out)

I assume you have at a bare minimum tracking for the "login action" which occurred in "Day 2" and "Day 5"... and possibly have "logout action" which occurred in "Day 4"... but you are trying to distinguish the login/logout status on Days 1, 3, and 45?

For that, I wouldn't track it like a "soft login"...  in our sites I track login and logout actions, but then on every page and action on the site, I just track a login status... is the person logged in or out at the time of each tracking call.

Depending on your system, this can sometimes be determined by reading the cookies that your site sets to know what the status is.. or you may need your developers to set some sort of value (based on their logged in/out checks) that allows you to also read the status and track it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Are you talking about a scenario like:

• Day 1 - User is not logged in
  • Day 2 - User logs In (moved from logged out to logged in status during the visit)
  • Day 3 - User is still logged in
  • Day 4 - User logs out (moved from logged in to logged out status during the visit)
  • Day 5 - User logs In (moved from logged out to logged in status during the visit)
  • Day 45 - User is logged out (their 30 day session expired, no explicit log out)

I assume you have at a bare minimum tracking for the "login action" which occurred in "Day 2" and "Day 5"... and possibly have "logout action" which occurred in "Day 4"... but you are trying to distinguish the login/logout status on Days 1, 3, and 45?

For that, I wouldn't track it like a "soft login"...  in our sites I track login and logout actions, but then on every page and action on the site, I just track a login status... is the person logged in or out at the time of each tracking call.

Depending on your system, this can sometimes be determined by reading the cookies that your site sets to know what the status is.. or you may need your developers to set some sort of value (based on their logged in/out checks) that allows you to also read the status and track it.

Level 10

One of our sites has a concept we call soft login. This means, in that case, that a user came to the site and did not specifically log in, but was automatically logged in based on a previous log in that had not expired. Example:

1. User explicitly logs in.

2. Same user returns next day and is automatically logged in (based on a persistent cookie). Login expiration time is restarted.

3. Same user returns many days later after the login date in visit 2 expired. User needs to explicitly log in.

The question is usually, how many "soft logins" (e.g. visit 2) happened. Soft logins + Explicit logins = active users.

To measure logins, we (used to) set a variable that distinguishes soft and hard logins. (Although it would probably be better to use a pair of events.) This is not an Adobe configuration, but something for your dev team.

Level 2

Thank your reply.

This is exactly what we want to track.

A colleague of mine will be in touch with our dev team in order to see whether they can do something.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

Greg

Community Advisor

I will track the user id into an eVar no matter soft/hard login, and an event when the user performed a "hard" login.

So with calculated metrics on visits with a segment where user id existing, you have the total number of visits where the user logged in; and calculated metrics on visits with segment where user id AND "hard" login event exist, you have the total number of visits where user performed the "hard" login. The difference of them give you the number of visits of soft login.

Community Advisor

Yes exactly.. if the cookies haven't expired, there's no real login, just a continuation.. hence the login status, vs actual logins... 

Then you also don't have to programmatically calculate a new session and trigger a soft login event... it can all be done via segmentation.... 

Level 2

Thank you for this idea.

I will definitely try your solution until the dev team comes up with something (if they can).