Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Showing unrelated value of evar60 when breakdown evar13

Level 2

image (9).png

 hi guys, i have a question for freeform table. As capture image above, i trigger 2 pageName (pageName config as evar13). We also see that in this image has break down section: Ad Network Extra (this one config as evar60). The query time on Jun 26, 2024. My question is why is the value of evar60 medicalPlanUpgradeConfirmation display on pageName evar13: loginClick. In my logic code evar60: medicalPlanUpgradeConfirmation only trigger when user trigger the medicalupgrade_onload_confirmation. And why the amount of occurrences on each Page is different: loginClick is 6 and medicalupgrade_onload_confirmation is 2

for more information: i trigger Adobe tag with React Native framework.

Thank guys!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Community Advisor

HI @Daniel_99 

bear in mind that eVar values persist across pages (if their expiration is not set to "Hit"), so setting an eVar value on pageA will persist it across pageB, pageC, ... unless you overwrite it on those pages.

Same for multiple events on that same page. If your eventA is setting eVar99 to value "foo", this eVar value will persist on eventB, eventC, etc. on that same page.

Maybe this is what you are seeing in your case? If so, maybe consider using a prop instead of an eVar that will only be applicable for a single server call.

Cheers

Cheers from Switzerland!

Community Advisor

Hi @Daniel_99 

Occurrences will provide the number of times a value is set in an eVar along with the number of times it persisted until expired or overwritten by another value, if the eVar 60 is set to expired on a visit then it's value will persist on multiple pages resulting which is available to you in screenshots, to check only the instances(no of times a value being set with specific pages) try replace the occurrences with the instances of eVar60.

Level 2

hi @Ankit_Chaudhary, thank you for replying. But i still concern about that: For example, as described below: if the user redirects to screen A at the same time, it will be sent to Adobe with ADBMobile().trackState("Screen_A", {evar60: "landing_screen_A_success"}). At this point we have triggered an action to set the value for evar60 as "landing_screen_A_success". Continue to return the user to the home page and at the same time I will send it to Adobe with ADBMobile().trackState("Discover", {evar60: "landing_discover_success"}). So in this case, has the value of evar60 been overwritten? If there is an override, when checking on the dashboard, after dragging and dropping pageName ie Discover into the freeform table and then dragging and dropping evar60 as a break down below page name, will both values ​​of evar60 be displayed? only shows the only value "landing_discover_success"

For example, the dashboard will display the following:
Discover:

evar60:

1. landing_screen_A_success
  2. landing_discover_success

Community Advisor

yes, while reviewing the reports you'll see both values in eVar60. @Jennifer_Dungan  have explained below on how eVar works with different actions in addition to this please check this article as well for more details.

Also, in simple words value overwritten does not mean the previous value which is already sent to adobe with a previous event will be overwrite by a new value in workspace it means it will stop getting credit for further events until expired or again overwritten by new value.

an example: suppose you set the value "Nike shoes" in eVar1 on a PDP page but the user comes back again and looks for "adidas shoes" and purchased them so you have overwrite the value of eVar1 from "Nike Shoes" to "adidas shoes" on adidas PDP page but it does not means you won't get the value "Nike shoes" in reports anymore it will be there but when you check eVar1 across orders you will find only the value "adidas shoes" are getting credited.

Community Advisor

I think both @bjoern__koth and @Ankit_Chaudhary got this... but I just want to add a visual of persisted values.

Let's say that eVar1 (Page Name) has a standard expiry of "Visit", and eVar2 (Click Action) also has a standard expiry of "Visit", and eVar3 (Marketing Campaign) also set to "Visit"

Note that all eVars have their own "Instance of" metric associated to when they are explicitly set.

Visit:

• Page 1 (Home Page - coming from "Email" campaign)
    • eVar1 is set to "home"
    • eVar2 is not set
    • eVar2 is set to "email"
    • Occurrences is triggered
    • Instance of eVar1 is triggered
    • Instance of eVar2 is not triggered (as nothing has been set)
    • Instance of eVar3 is triggered
  • Page 2 (Product Page)
    • eVar1 is set to "product"
    • eVar2 is not set
    • eVar3 maintains the value of "Email"
    • Instance of eVar2 is not triggered (as nothing has been set)
    • Instance of eVar3 is not triggered (as nothing has been set)
  • Action on Page 2 (Add to Cart)
    • eVar1 is not set, but maintains value of "product"
    • eVar2 is set to "add to cart"
    • Instance of eVar1 is not triggered (as nothing has been explicitly set, the value here is maintained due to the expiry)
    • Instance of eVar2 is triggered
  • Page 3 (Cart Page)
    • eVar1 is set to "cart"
    • eVar2 is not set, but due to the expiry is maintaining the value of "add to cart"
    • Instance of eVar2 is not triggered (as nothing has been explicitly set, the value here is maintained due to the expiry)
  • Action on Page 3 (Purchase Event)
    • eVar1 is not set, but maintains value of "cart"
    • eVar2 is set to "purchase"
    • Instance of eVar1 is not triggered (as nothing has been explicitly set, the value here is maintained due to the expiry)
    • Instance of eVar2 is triggered
  • Page 4 (Purchase Success)
    • (eVar1 didn't get set properly)
    • eVar1 is not set, but maintains value of "cart"
    • eVar2 is not set, but due to the expiry is maintaining the value of "purchase"
    • Instance of eVar2 is not triggered (as nothing has been explicitly set, the value here is maintained due to the expiry)

There are times when you want the values to be maintained, like in the case above with Campaign (eVar3)... when the purchase occurs, you want to be able to associate that purchase to the campaign that drove the user to your site (i.e. the Email campaign).

The Page Name (eVar1) however could go both ways... in one case, not having to repopulate the Page Name on your actions is nice, it maintains the value.. however, if the Page Name fails, like in the case of Page 4; then you end up with an incorrect value. (personally, I keep my custom Page Name to "Hit" expiry, and explicitly set it on all pages and actions so that if something fails, I can see where and resolve it, and don't risk having incorrect names on my pages).

The Click Actions however, definitely should be "Hit" expiry, as they only pertain to those actions. Unless of course you want to see the last action even several pages away, but if you want to do that, I would suggest applying a custom attribution model in your freeform table, rather than carrying forward a click action in this manner.

Level 2

hi @Jennifer_Dungan, according to your example, I have a small question as follows: On Page 3, we have set the value for evar1 to "cart", so when displaying the total number of occurrences of evar1 of Page 3 (emphasis on only Page 3 and not with any other page), evar1 will be displayed. All three are "home", "product" and "cart", right?

For example, the dashboard will display the following:
Page 3:

evar60:

1. home
  2. product
  3. cart

Am i correct?

Thank you!

Community Advisor

No, eVar1 on Page 3 will only show the occurrence of the value that was set (i.e. "Cart"...

Now, if you were to use a custom attribution of Participation, you would see more than 1 value.... 

eVar1 on Page 3 is "cart" (that was the last value that was set within the visit attribution)

The visit attribution just means it will continue to hold the last set value until the visit is over, or a new value is set.

A participation model (only available in custom attribution) would look at all values that participated.