Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Setting landing page as exception to the rule

Level 2

When I add landing Page as exception to a rule, the rule stops working in the other pages of the website too. Can anyone help with landing page set up as exception

6 Replies

Community Advisor

It seems like there might be an issue with how you have set up the exception rule for the landing page. To help you better, I'll provide a step-by-step guide on how to create an exception rule for the landing page in Adobe Analytics using Adobe Launch:

1. Log in to Adobe Launch and select the property associated with your website.

2. Navigate to the "Rules" tab and find the rule you want to add the exception to. Click on the rule name to edit it.

3. In the "Events" section, click on the "Add Exception" button.

4. From the "Extension" dropdown, select "Core."

5. From the "Condition Type" dropdown, select "Landing Page."

6. Set the condition to match your landing page URL. For example, if your landing page URL is "https://www.example.com/landing", you can set the condition as:

• Condition: "equals"
    • Value: "/landing"
  7. Save the changes to the rule by clicking the "Save" button at the top right corner.

8. Once you have saved the rule, click on the "Publishing" tab and follow the necessary steps to build and deploy the updated library to your website.

By following these steps, the rule should only be excluded on the specified landing page while continuing to work on other pages of your website. If the issue persists, double-check the condition settings and make sure they match your landing page URL correctly.

Community Advisor

I have never used the "Landing Page" rule... I just tested this on my testing demo site....

It seems that the "Landing Page" condition isn't just a rule that applies to the actual landing page, but to visits where the landing page was "x"

Let's say we create a rule for landing page equals "/page1"

Scenario 1:

1. User opens the site on /page1 (condition is met)

2. User navigates to /page2 (the landing page for the visit was /page1 - so condition is still met)

3. User continues to navigate, the condition continues to be met based on the Visit's Landing Page

Scenario 2:

1. User opens the site on /page2 (condition is not met)

2. User navigates to /page1 (condition continues to be not met

If you are trying to create a rule to do X when the user enters on Page X (and have it only apply to this page), then the "Landing Page" rules is not the way to do it.

I am not sure if there is a way to do this simply... but I suppose if I wanted to do something like that, I might do a custom solution using a session storage....

Check if session storage "Y" doesn't exist when I load Page X, then do something (then I would set session storage "Y" so that the rule won't trigger again.....

But maybe if you share a little more information about your use case, we can think of other potential solutions that can help you?

Level 2

Thanks,

I want the rule to work on all the pages of the website except one page (Page A). I thought of adding exception (landing page/path without query string) to the rule. But as stated above, the rule has stopped triggering for other pages too.

Community Advisor

Wait..  you want the rule to fire on all pages except for A, regardless of whether this was the entry point of the Visit??

@Sumita1 Please Confirm Scenario 1 or 2

Scenario 1:

1. User enters on Page A (rule is not fired)

2. User goes to Page B (rule fires)

3. User returns to Page A (rule fires)

Scenario 2:

1. User enters on Page B (rule fires)

2. User navigates to Page A (rule is not fired)

Is is that you don't want to do the action on Page A? Or you don't want to do the action on Page A IF it's the first page of the visit... as these are very different behaviours.

Community Advisor

Ah, ok.. "Landing Page" is the wrong option. "Landing Page" is about detecting what page of the visit the user started on.

You should be able to use "Path Without Query String" (this shows farther down the list under the "URL" heading, as opposed to the "Engagement" heading), if you also need to identify this path on a specific domain, then you can add a second condition for "Domain".

Conditions are applied with "AND" logic, so you can stack multiple together if required.

Hopefully this should solve your issue.