Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Segment created from a Listvar not returning correct stats

Level 2

Hi Team,

I am trying to create a segment from a listvar that contains different types A, B, C, etc with a view of only capturing values that contain "Type A" for example.

Segment created

Hit

Type contains Type A

I have dropped the created segment into a free-form table and included the visit metric but it returns all types. I have also tried to use the type instance instead but I still return all. However, I can achieve this when using the filter option with the free-form table.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Segmenting Lists can be tricky... they act both as independent values and conjoined values simultaneously... which can be frustrating....

Basically, let's say you have the following values:

• "A,B,C"
  • "A,B"
  • "A,C"
  • "B,C"
  • "AN,D"

So when you see the data in Adobe, you will see:

Occurrences
List   11
  A 3
  B 3
  C 3
  AN 1
  D 1

^ separate items

But when you create a segment for "List equals A" or "List contains A", the logic is run on each item, so you would think that "List equals A" would only return the top row (A=3), and that "List contains A" would return the top and second last rows (A=3 and AN=1)...

But, unfortunately, once those matches are made, the entire set is returned (for those hits)... so you actually end up with:

Occurrences
List   7
  A 3
  B 2
  C 2

Contains wouldn't fair any better, it would just also return the AN and D rows (since AN contains A, and D was a part of that hit).

Depending on what you are tracking and the complexities, you could try to create classifications for each item... as in an "A Classification" that only populates the A values, and a "B Classification" that only populates the B values... but this may not be a realistic solution.....

Lists and Products (which is essentially a complex list) have had this issue for a long time, and while I can see the appeal of retrieving all that hit's data, many people including myself would love the option to only return the matching values....

The only way to return just the A row is to use the table filters (and no segments)... which is ok if you only need "A", but if you need an interactive dropdown for "A" or "B" or "C" for example, this isn't going to work sadly.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Segmenting Lists can be tricky... they act both as independent values and conjoined values simultaneously... which can be frustrating....

Basically, let's say you have the following values:

• "A,B,C"
  • "A,B"
  • "A,C"
  • "B,C"
  • "AN,D"

So when you see the data in Adobe, you will see:

Occurrences
List   11
  A 3
  B 3
  C 3
  AN 1
  D 1

^ separate items

But when you create a segment for "List equals A" or "List contains A", the logic is run on each item, so you would think that "List equals A" would only return the top row (A=3), and that "List contains A" would return the top and second last rows (A=3 and AN=1)...

But, unfortunately, once those matches are made, the entire set is returned (for those hits)... so you actually end up with:

Occurrences
List   7
  A 3
  B 2
  C 2

Contains wouldn't fair any better, it would just also return the AN and D rows (since AN contains A, and D was a part of that hit).

Depending on what you are tracking and the complexities, you could try to create classifications for each item... as in an "A Classification" that only populates the A values, and a "B Classification" that only populates the B values... but this may not be a realistic solution.....

Lists and Products (which is essentially a complex list) have had this issue for a long time, and while I can see the appeal of retrieving all that hit's data, many people including myself would love the option to only return the matching values....

The only way to return just the A row is to use the table filters (and no segments)... which is ok if you only need "A", but if you need an interactive dropdown for "A" or "B" or "C" for example, this isn't going to work sadly.