Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Segment building in AA and container types

Level 2

I'm currently looking to create a segment in AA that takes a population of visitors that have seen webpage A in the last 90 days, but also havent seen webpage B in the last 90 days.

So far I have attempted to do this by creating two segments and combining them as follows:

1) Create segment A. Seg A = clients that have seen webpage A in the last 90 days

2) Create segment B. Seg B = clients that have seen webpage B in the last 90 days

3) Create segment C by including Seg A (visitor container) before excluding Seg B (visitor container) using the 'exclude' toggle within the container options.

Is this the correct way to do this? When altering the container types between Visitor/Visit/Hit it is altering the final segment size, leaving me slightly confused as to the correct way to do this.

Any insight anyone can provide would be fantastic!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Let me answer this first:

Is this the correct way to do this? When altering the container types between Visitor/Visit/Hit it is altering the final segment size, leaving me slightly confused as to the correct way to do this.

Recall that:

• a Hit is every instance / beacon / hit of data sent to AA
  • a Visit comprises of 1 or more Hits within a period of time
  • a Visitor comprises of 1 or more Visits over the visitor's lifetime (more specifically, for all visits where the same visitor ID has been set)

So depending on the metrics and date range of your report, you will definitely get different numbers for these 3 scopes, even with the same segment conditions.

1) Create segment A. Seg A = clients that have seen webpage A in the last 90 days

2) Create segment B. Seg B = clients that have seen webpage B in the last 90 days

3) Create segment C by including Seg A (visitor container) before excluding Seg B (visitor container) using the 'exclude' toggle within the container options.

Yes, that would be the easiest way to create your segment. However, if you ever change the conditions of segments A or B, segment C will remain unchanged! AA doesn't link segments together, so you will need to make sure you change segment C too.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Let me answer this first:

Recall that:

• a Hit is every instance / beacon / hit of data sent to AA
  • a Visit comprises of 1 or more Hits within a period of time
  • a Visitor comprises of 1 or more Visits over the visitor's lifetime (more specifically, for all visits where the same visitor ID has been set)

So depending on the metrics and date range of your report, you will definitely get different numbers for these 3 scopes, even with the same segment conditions.

Yes, that would be the easiest way to create your segment. However, if you ever change the conditions of segments A or B, segment C will remain unchanged! AA doesn't link segments together, so you will need to make sure you change segment C too.