Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Segment at the "product" level

Level 1

Hi,

Something that I don't find is how to create a segment for a specific product present in the Hit.

Let's say that in my product variable in the code I have 1 merchandising evar (Color), I would like to be able to create a segment that would say : I want to see all the Hits where there is the product A with the color blue.

If I create a Hit level container I can't associate the product A with the color blue, so it means that I also include all the hit with product A red and product B blue.

How can we have a "merchandising evar" container in the segmentation to associate a merchandising evar value with a product?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Francois,

I think for what you are trying to achieve, you should avail the option of using NESTED containers and use the THEN condition.

For example, for extracting the number of Product A where quantity is equal to 250 you may create the first hit container and add the "product evar equals Product A" condition. Now go to the gear icon on the top right and select 'add container'. This adds a nested container in your segment. Select the THEN option and add the quantity evar in the nested container and set it equal to 250. This segment definition would list out all Product A where quantity is equal to 250.

I have also created a sample segment definition for you to reference. Let me know if this helps you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Francois,

I think the merchandising evar should be available in the 'Dimensions' category when you are in the segment manager. You can use it in the Hit level container to make your segment. Let me know if you cannot find it in the list.

Thanks!

TM

Community Advisor
Interestingly enough, I tried this, and I get the following error every time: A valid definition is required. And I am using a Merchandising variable as my secondary HIT variable. Things must have changed in 5 years.
Jeff Bloomer

Level 1

Hi Tanmay,

Sure, the evar is in the list, but as I explained in the first comment if I place the evar in a hit container I have no way to associate the evar to the exact product I want.

I'll take another example, in our company the products come in several quantities so we have Quantity as a merchandising evar. If I create a hit container filtering Product A with Quantity 250, I also include all the cases where I have Product A with quantity 100 and Product B with Quantity 250. The rule of the Quantity 250 doesn't apply ONLY to the product A.

I would need another container type to do that.

Thanks

Francois

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Francois,

I think for what you are trying to achieve, you should avail the option of using NESTED containers and use the THEN condition.

For example, for extracting the number of Product A where quantity is equal to 250 you may create the first hit container and add the "product evar equals Product A" condition. Now go to the gear icon on the top right and select 'add container'. This adds a nested container in your segment. Select the THEN option and add the quantity evar in the nested container and set it equal to 250. This segment definition would list out all Product A where quantity is equal to 250.

I have also created a sample segment definition for you to reference. Let me know if this helps you.

Level 1

I've tried your segment but it returns no values (0 hit, 0 visit, 0 visitor) which is expected as you are putting a THEN rule inside a Hit container.

Level 1

No you cant segment at product level.... its actually quite annoying.

Use case...

report on products in orders but exclude a specific product from those orders.