Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reporting on UTM parameters

Level 1

I'm still pretty fresh to Adobe Analytics (I was primarily a WebTrends user and currently Google Analytics) and I'm working through enabling reporting on UTM parameters in Adobe Analytics. I've used this article as a baseline guide (https://medium.com/@utmsmartmanager/the-complete-guide-to-using-utm-parameters-in-adobe-analytics-df...). I'm at the point now where we have code deployed to collect the UTM parameters from the URL (when present) and pass them in a single string to the campaign variable. I added the classifications, set up the classification rules (regex method), and linked the rules to my report suites.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 122119.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121549.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121710.png

When I set up a table and use the Tracking Code dimension, I can see the full string in the line items. But when I set up a table with the Source, Medium, Campaign, Term, Content dimensions, everything is listed as Unspecified. Testing in the classification rules breaks down the string properly into the correct classifications.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121903.png

It feels like I'm missing something simple/obvious, but I can't seem to locate that silver bullet in the settings or digging around online. Does anyone who's been able to get this working successfully have any tips/pointers?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @NL-KB 

Looking at your regular expression, a few things

• the colon does not need to be escaped with the backslash "\:" should be ":" instead
  • in your example, you do have an empty value for "Content" which is not working with your regex

You may want to make the capture groups optional by adding a question mark "?" after each group.

Meaning, it will still require the colons to be present, but will also allow empty values

^(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?$

You can test it here

https://regex101.com/r/rvBaq2/1

Also, keep in mind that you will see undefined in your values if visitors did not come with UTM query params to your site.

Hope that helps

Cheers from Switzerland!