Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

prop/ evar topic

Level 2

Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest me do Product Id ,product name, product color, product size, product tax, product shipping comes under Prop or eVar .

I appreciate for your time

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You definitely want to use Merchandising eVars for the additional items you want to track. Those can actually be added right into the product notation.

The format being:

[category (optional)];[product name];[quantity (optional)];[Price (optional)],[events (optional)];[merchandising eVars (optional)]

According to Adobe documentation (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/products.html?lang=e...) category is not recommended for "product category", likely cause most products would fall under multiple categories, or can move around, etc) but I actually like to use this to help give contextual information to the item (but I am also using s.products for more than just my shopping cart so I can leverage the merchandising eVar and linked events functionality that is only available with s.products)

As you can see, Product Name is the only truly required field, the rest can be passed as empty values...or truncated after the last item populated:

// Include only product and category. Common on individual product pages
s.products = ";Example product";

// Include only product name

// One product has a category, the other does not. Note the comma and adjacent semicolon to omit category
s.products = ";Example product 1,;Example product 2";

// A visitor purchases a single product; record quantity and price
s.events = "purchase";
s.products = ";Example product;1;6.99";

// A visitor purchases multiple products with different quantities
s.events = "purchase";
s.products = ";Example product 1;9;26.91,Example category;Example product 2;4;9.96";

// Attribute currency event1 only to product 2 and not product 1
s.events = "event1";
s.products = ";Example product 1;1;1.99,Example category 2;Example product 2;1;2.69;event1=1.29";

// Use multiple numeric events in the product string
s.events = "event1,event2";
s.products = ";Example product;1;4.20;event1=2.3|event2=5";

// Use merchandising eVars without any events. Note the adjacent semicolons to skip events
s.products = ";Example product;1;6.69;;eVar1=Merchandising value";

// Use merchandising eVars without category, quantity, price, or events
s.products = ";Example product;;;;eVar1=Merchandising value";

// Multiple products using multiple different events and multiple different merchandising eVars
s.events = "event1,event2,event3,event4,purchase";
s.products = ";Example product 1;3;12.60;event1=1.4|event2=9;eVar1=Merchandising value|eVar2=Another merchandising value,Example category 2;Example product 2;1;59.99;event3=6.99|event4=1;eVar3=Merchandising value 3|eVar4=Example value four";

That said... as much as I hate wasting eVars with tracking the same info, I find that creating an eVar to hold the same value as Product Name helps in trying to create segments (if that is something you will be doing)... Creating a segment for "product equals x" or "product contains x" will return all products that were part of the same call, but if you use the eVar in your segment, it will return only the products you expect.

I don't know exactly your needs or setup, but it sounds like most of the values you are collecting would be eVars, but maybe, when it comes to tax or shipping costs... if you want those as actual numbers that you can do calculations on, you might want to consider setting up a currency based event for each of them... then pass the value as:

s.products = (optional cat);productx;(quantity);(price);(other events here);eVarx=black|eVary=large.....

s.events = "eventx=2.60,eventy=9.99"

where:
eVarx is color
eVarY is size
eventx is a currency based event for "tax"
eventy is a currency based event for "shipping"
etc

Unless you are trying to collect the shipping and tax for each individual item, it makes more sense to capture the entire order's tax and shipping outside of products.

Then you might have 5 products, each with size, color, whatever associated to the product notation with individual prices and quantities; but the entire order would have the tax and shipping.... (or you could apply tax and shipping to each individual item if you really feel that is needed....)

Right now, seeing as how you are starting... play with options in a testing suite... try creating reports from your test data.. create segments, apply math to the your values, see what works, what doesn't work... keep tweaking it until you have something that works for you and your business needs.

Getting ideas at a high level like this can help point you in the right direction, but I always feel that a little hands on testing is the best way to fully conceptualize the solution. And don't be afraid to push back a little on the timelines.... do they want it done, or done right? The second one takes longer... but is worth it in the end.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You definitely want to use Merchandising eVars for the additional items you want to track. Those can actually be added right into the product notation.

The format being:

[category (optional)];[product name];[quantity (optional)];[Price (optional)],[events (optional)];[merchandising eVars (optional)]

According to Adobe documentation (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/products.html?lang=e...) category is not recommended for "product category", likely cause most products would fall under multiple categories, or can move around, etc) but I actually like to use this to help give contextual information to the item (but I am also using s.products for more than just my shopping cart so I can leverage the merchandising eVar and linked events functionality that is only available with s.products)

As you can see, Product Name is the only truly required field, the rest can be passed as empty values...or truncated after the last item populated:

// Include only product and category. Common on individual product pages

// Include only product name

// One product has a category, the other does not. Note the comma and adjacent semicolon to omit category
s.products = ";Example product 1,;Example product 2";

// A visitor purchases a single product; record quantity and price
s.events = "purchase";
s.products = ";Example product;1;6.99";

// A visitor purchases multiple products with different quantities
s.events = "purchase";
s.products = ";Example product 1;9;26.91,Example category;Example product 2;4;9.96";

// Attribute currency event1 only to product 2 and not product 1
s.events = "event1";
s.products = ";Example product 1;1;1.99,Example category 2;Example product 2;1;2.69;event1=1.29";

// Use multiple numeric events in the product string
s.events = "event1,event2";
s.products = ";Example product;1;4.20;event1=2.3|event2=5";

// Use merchandising eVars without any events. Note the adjacent semicolons to skip events
s.products = ";Example product;1;6.69;;eVar1=Merchandising value";

// Use merchandising eVars without category, quantity, price, or events
s.products = ";Example product;;;;eVar1=Merchandising value";

// Multiple products using multiple different events and multiple different merchandising eVars
s.events = "event1,event2,event3,event4,purchase";
s.products = ";Example product 1;3;12.60;event1=1.4|event2=9;eVar1=Merchandising value|eVar2=Another merchandising value,Example category 2;Example product 2;1;59.99;event3=6.99|event4=1;eVar3=Merchandising value 3|eVar4=Example value four";

That said... as much as I hate wasting eVars with tracking the same info, I find that creating an eVar to hold the same value as Product Name helps in trying to create segments (if that is something you will be doing)... Creating a segment for "product equals x" or "product contains x" will return all products that were part of the same call, but if you use the eVar in your segment, it will return only the products you expect.

I don't know exactly your needs or setup, but it sounds like most of the values you are collecting would be eVars, but maybe, when it comes to tax or shipping costs... if you want those as actual numbers that you can do calculations on, you might want to consider setting up a currency based event for each of them... then pass the value as:

s.products = (optional cat);productx;(quantity);(price);(other events here);eVarx=black|eVary=large.....

s.events = "eventx=2.60,eventy=9.99"

where:
eVarx is color
eVarY is size
eventx is a currency based event for "tax"
eventy is a currency based event for "shipping"
etc

Unless you are trying to collect the shipping and tax for each individual item, it makes more sense to capture the entire order's tax and shipping outside of products.

Then you might have 5 products, each with size, color, whatever associated to the product notation with individual prices and quantities; but the entire order would have the tax and shipping.... (or you could apply tax and shipping to each individual item if you really feel that is needed....)

Right now, seeing as how you are starting... play with options in a testing suite... try creating reports from your test data.. create segments, apply math to the your values, see what works, what doesn't work... keep tweaking it until you have something that works for you and your business needs.

Getting ideas at a high level like this can help point you in the right direction, but I always feel that a little hands on testing is the best way to fully conceptualize the solution. And don't be afraid to push back a little on the timelines.... do they want it done, or done right? The second one takes longer... but is worth it in the end.

Community Advisor

Adding on to @Jennifer_Dungan's excellent reply:

In s.products, instead of tracking the product's name, some implementations track the product's SKU. The reason is to make use of Classifications for adding other product metadata. For example, a SKU is usually unique for a colour-size-variation-etc combination.

In that way, you can "save" on eVars by using a single Product variable that contains SKUs, then use Classifications to bring in all of the other product-specific variables that you want to report on.

Community Advisor

I agree with @yuhuisg . In this use case you should not use multiple eVars. Send the product id in the s.product variable:

s.products=";productId1,;productId2" 

Product ID can be your SKU.

Next in Adobe Analytics go to the Admin section under conversion and add classification and then upload your data using either classification importer using the browser or an FTP.

Benefits:

• Your code will be much simpler, better to maintain and also decrease performance issues on website as less code
  • Classification are retroactive, uploaded wrong color for product, no worries you can reupload it and historical data will be uploaded. New data needed for each product to do specific analysis, update classification structure to add new classified report and reupload classification for the SKUs with new data
  • Classification reports can be used in segmentation as well.

Level 2

is product ID eVar or prop?

Thankyou for sharing the information

I really appreciate for your time.

Community Advisor

If the variable is used in s.products, then it's an eVar (more specifically, a Merchandising eVar, as @Jennifer_Dungan mentioned).