Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Processing rules require escaping special characters?

Level 4

Hi community, 

I want to filter the Page URL because sometimes I got local developer URLs in reports. I created this processing rule in order to have a common value for all of them to filter it in Virtual Report Suites later. But the rule is not working. One option in here I think is because the value "C:/Users" will required an escaping of special character.

If this is not the issue, what could be wrong on here?

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.56.14 AM.png

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.... 

I tested this in my QA environment and my rule worked... the only difference is that my eVar uses "D=g" for tracking... and I wasn't sure if that would execute before or after the processing rule...

So I used the following:

JDungan_1-1655417738676.png

I used the absolute "Page URL" as my condition (and I didn't need to encode anything for the values), and then I overwrote my eVar with the custom value.

Since I track both "full url" and "canonical url", I correlated the two together to see the values of the Local File URL and the Override:

JDungan_2-1655417813301.png

Maybe try using Page URL for you condition, then just override the value of the eVar?

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, 

I think the issue is that you didn't add an overall Condition to the rule.... basically there is nothing telling the system to even start this rule...  Try moving the IF condition from the Execution Line to the Rule Conditions like so:

JDungan_0-1655213604803.png

Also note, this may capture more than just your developer urls... Most people get a few of these from real users who save copies of their websites to their hard drive and open the HTML Locally... but that's probably not a big concern... you may also want to add an addition context of "file:///" to capture ANY local hard drive path (not just "C:/Users" - but I will leave that to you to make that call)

JDungan_2-1655213945369.png

Community Advisor

Ah... I wasn't sure if the Page URL you were trying to change was the one that is available in raw data and data warehouse.....

The "Page URL" in processing rules is the URL that is only available in the raw data; but is not actually available in your Workspace..... it looks like you have a custom Prop or eVar called "Page URL" which might be causing the confusion....

If you are trying to see this in your workspace, you must change both the condition and the rule to use the custom parameter (prop/evar) instead of the raw URL. (this will also leave your raw url alone if you ever need to correlate the original value)

Community Advisor

Hmm ok, I will try and throw a test rule into my QA environment and see what I can find.... that looks like it should work....

There are no rules after this that impact eVar2 right? I would hate this to be as simple as, Rule 30 is setting the value of eVar2 again and overturning Rule 26.....

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.... 

I tested this in my QA environment and my rule worked... the only difference is that my eVar uses "D=g" for tracking... and I wasn't sure if that would execute before or after the processing rule...

So I used the following:

JDungan_1-1655417738676.png

I used the absolute "Page URL" as my condition (and I didn't need to encode anything for the values), and then I overwrote my eVar with the custom value.

Since I track both "full url" and "canonical url", I correlated the two together to see the values of the Local File URL and the Override:

JDungan_2-1655417813301.png

Maybe try using Page URL for you condition, then just override the value of the eVar?

Level 4

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan . It worked, finally I got [developer url] in Page URLs.

This is the final setup:

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.28.07 AM.png

Community Advisor

Hi @OscarMM ,

Can you try escaping the '/' & ':'. It is poosible that they are not getting read properly during the execution of the rule.

I would suggest you try the encoded value for this.

C%3A%2FUsers

Level 4

Hi @Anmol_Bhardwaj. Thank you for your answer.

It didn't work, neither. Still getting no processed value.

Community Advisor

What if you change your "Page URL" contains value from "C:/Users" to just "Users"?

Community Advisor

That rule could be very dangerous... if they have any urls that contain "users" (since processing rules are not case sensitive) that could misidentify real pages in their site.

I don't know the nature of their site, but "users" could be a common folder for user related pages (login/manage profile/etc) or if it's a site that contains blogs or article any content aliases containing the word users (i.e. "things-all-facebook-users-need-to-know") would be captured by such an open ended rule.....

Community Advisor

Yes, that's true. That's why I had written my reply as a question for OP to consider.