Expand my Community achievements bar.

Previous Page Prop: Instances vs. Occurences

Level 3

Hi All,

Can someone please explain to me why for a Previous Page Name Prop that instances and occurrences are the exact same? I understand why occurrences are higher than instances for eVars that persist, but I can't wrap my head around why it's the same for instances and occurrences for Previous Page Name Prop (or any other prop really).

Thanks!

1 Reply

Level 1

Hi @skatofiabah
Props are typically used for pathing and counting specific values as they occur. Props expire at the end of the page view. They don't persist beyond the page view.

For props, an instance is counted every time the prop is set on a page view. Occurrences are to the total number of server calls (hits) where a value is either set or persists. For props, occurrences and instances are often the same because props do not persist beyond the page view. 

Why Instances and Occurrences are the Same for Props

When you use a prop like "Previous Page Name":
Instances: Each time a page is loaded, the "Previous Page Name" prop is set with the value of the previous page.
Occurrences: Each server call where this prop is set counts as an occurrence.

Since props do not persist beyond a single page view, the number of times the "Previous Page Name" prop is set (instances) will exactly match the number of server calls where this prop is set (occurrences). This is because each instance corresponds to a unique page view, and props are reset after each page view.

In summary, for props like "Previous Page Name," Instances and occurrences are the same because props do not persist beyond the page view, so each instance corresponds directly to an occurrence. So, in this case, each occurrence is its own instance because these occurrences cannot be aggregated/consolidated into a single instance.  

I know it can be very confusing, so hope this helps!