Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Order of tags firing out of Adobe Launch

Level 1

We are looking to implement the cookie blocking tool SecurePrivacy and one of their requirements is that is should launch as the first script on the page. We are investigating if we can load the script through Launch DTM as the first script on the page out of the tool.

Is there any documentations around this? Or ways to execute? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think The ECID Scripts get loaded around the same time as Library Loaded...

There is an "opt-in" consent option on ECID (but I haven't actually used that since our team hasn't required that yet), I wonder if that switch would allow the delay of loading.

When I use my Launch Switch extension debug mode on our site, the ECID is fired before my first Library Loaded rule, as well as the analytics scripts added to the page (not yet used, but loaded):

[Experience Cloud ID Service] Created instance using orgId: 
[Experience Cloud ID Service] Set variables: {"trackingServer":"xxx","trackingServerSecure":"xxx", etc....
[Experience Cloud ID Service] Obtained Marketing Cloud Visitor Id
[Adobe Analytics] Loading script: //.../AppMeasurement.min.js
[Adobe Analytics] Loading script: //.../AppMeasurement_Module_ActivityMap.min.js
Rule "Library Loader - Rule X" fired.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

When you say that the requirement is for the SecurePrivacy script to be the first script on the page, how literal do you mean that?

If you load that script via a tag manager like Adobe Launch, the tag manager scripts have to load first to add that script to the site... so by the very nature of tag managers, this will not suit your needs if it absolutely must be first.

Now, if you mean that it must run before your analytics starts doing its thing, dropping cookies and collecting data, that should be doable.

As with any tag manager, you can control when your rules fire... in this case, you could use "library loaded" for SecurePrivacy, which means that as soon as your tag manager scripts are loaded, it will immediately run the SecurePrivacy rule.... then your analytics and other rules can be executed later (like Window Loaded or DOM Ready, or some custom trigger, etc)

Level 1

Thanks Jennifer. I understand that the tag manager scripts have to load first to add the script to the site. I just want to confirm that no other scripts within the tool including ECID would load before the Secure Privacy tag. They are our vendor for the cookie banners and we would need them to be able to control all cookies on the site, which is why they are asking to be first on the page.

Level 4

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan, I feel the rules created using 'Library Loaded' will get executed after or in parallel with extensions(like ECID, Analytics, Target etc.,). Could you please confirm if it is not the case?

Regards,
Kartheek

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think The ECID Scripts get loaded around the same time as Library Loaded...

There is an "opt-in" consent option on ECID (but I haven't actually used that since our team hasn't required that yet), I wonder if that switch would allow the delay of loading.

When I use my Launch Switch extension debug mode on our site, the ECID is fired before my first Library Loaded rule, as well as the analytics scripts added to the page (not yet used, but loaded):

[Experience Cloud ID Service] Created instance using orgId: 
[Experience Cloud ID Service] Set variables: {"trackingServer":"xxx","trackingServerSecure":"xxx", etc....
[Experience Cloud ID Service] Obtained Marketing Cloud Visitor Id
[Adobe Analytics] Loading script: //.../AppMeasurement.min.js
[Adobe Analytics] Loading script: //.../AppMeasurement_Module_ActivityMap.min.js
Rule "Library Loader - Rule X" fired.

Community Advisor

Depending on what your developers need (they may need to know consent status), they may want to control adding the script as the themselves anyway....

Community Advisor

You should load your cookie manager/privacy outside of Adobe Launch tag manager.

The cookie manager is not only for your tag manager but a regulatory requirement for your company on your site. It dictates which cookie from your platform, tag management system and so on can be dropped. It is therefore advised to decouple your cookie banner implementation and your tag management implementation. If adobe launch does not load for some reasons you still should have the cookie banner displayed for new visitors. If it is not there you will be in breach.

1. Ask you developers to load the cookie banner on your page (will be in the head)

2. Inject Adobe Launch and configure rules to respect cookie policies. (i.e in conditions or for adobe products in adobe.optin). you also need to find a way to notify adobe launch that cookie selections have been done to process any rules that would have been stopped.

In terms of Adobe Launch and especially extension, some extensions can configure a `main` which means that this code will run as the Adobe Launch library loads, therefore it will not wait for your cookie selection if you load them via Adobe Launch. this is the case with VISITOR ID services.