Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Occurrences vs Instances

Level 1

When I pull occurrences in aggregate in Workspace, the number matches instances as reported by Analytics. However, when I break down occurrences by a conversion variable, occurrences is much higher than instances. Other metrics - such as page views - are consistent. Are instances and occurrences supposed to match? Why would the breakdown by conversion variable be changing the result?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Erin,

Instances are the number of times a variable was defined in an image request whereas Occurrences are the total number of hits a variable value was either defined or (for conversion variables) persisted. The metric is in essence the sum of page views and page events.

Occurrences higher than Instances is expected for conversion variables, as occurrences also includes the number of times the variable was defined (instances).

I hope that helps.

TM

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Erin,

Instances are the number of times a variable was defined in an image request whereas Occurrences are the total number of hits a variable value was either defined or (for conversion variables) persisted. The metric is in essence the sum of page views and page events.

Occurrences higher than Instances is expected for conversion variables, as occurrences also includes the number of times the variable was defined (instances).

I hope that helps.

TM