Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

New Visitor Definition

Level 1

For one whole day, I have read and re-read and browsed through the links given in the community and posting this partly becuase I am unclear and partly because some links posted are irrelevant

Q1) Why does my definition of New Visitor will NOT

give correct numbers when I try to get New Visitors for any date range, lets say, last week, last day, Jan 5 to Feb 10 etc. Please refer the screenshot for discrepency in numbers and also for my segment definition of New Visitor

Q2) What would be the correct definition of the segment New Visitors and why ?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@Robinhood- "New visitor" is already an out of box segment available in Analysis Workspace, so you don't need to create one.. The ideal definition is "VISIT" where Visit Number=1. Using the "Visitor" container won't work, as it will show all the visits of the visitor. Basically, every return visitor was a new visitor once - so using Visitor picks all the visits (including visit num 1, 2, 3 and so on).

Hope that explains!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@Robinhood- "New visitor" is already an out of box segment available in Analysis Workspace, so you don't need to create one.. The ideal definition is "VISIT" where Visit Number=1. Using the "Visitor" container won't work, as it will show all the visits of the visitor. Basically, every return visitor was a new visitor once - so using Visitor picks all the visits (including visit num 1, 2, 3 and so on).

Hope that explains!

Level 1

Thanks a ton @Ishan_Sinha_ . Could you brief about how the numbers of 32697 and 29259(please refer screenshot) pulled so I understand why my "New Visitor" segment does not help to pull correct numbers and why "First Time Visits" segment helps to pull correct numbers for New Visitors

Community Advisor

Basically "New Visitor" is all-time new visitor... not new visitor within your date range.

I actually presented a Rock Star tip on how to create non-overlapping new and repeat visitor segments for Summit (then did an encore for Skill Exchange)

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/events/the-skill-exchange-recordings/analytics/may2023/rocks...