Expand my Community achievements bar.

Network request shows 'cancelled' on click call

Level 2

Raseshwari_0-1708938760673.png

Raseshwari_1-1708938796260.png

I keep getting this error "This request was NOT successful because your browser stopped this request (net::ERR_ABORTED)" on a link click.

The network call shows 'cancelled'. 

Same happens for any floodlight pixel implemented on these links. 

Does anyone know a solution to this? We have a campaign going live soon and need this urgently fixed.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Sometimes these still go through, but this is always a frustrating and unnerving issue.

So technically, the way that Adobe and other pixel trackers work is that they make a request to the server for a 1x1 pixel (with parameters being passed via GET or POST). The request gets to the server (this is what actually matters, because its the requests that are actually processed to get the information). The server also responds with the pixel, this is really just a formality to "complete" the full internet transaction, but the pixel itself doesn't actually matter.

Now, if the pixel gets cancelled before it reaches the server, you have a problem... if the pixel is cancelled on the actual image return, this is fine, because as I said above, the actual pixel doesn't mean anything.

Now, you can apply a small delay on the click, this should allow the full transaction to complete... but this could pose new issues.. Starting the middle of March, Google will start using a new Core Web Vital (CWV) measurement called "Interaction to Next Paint" (INP) and this is a measurement of how much time between the latency of a user's click, tap or keyboard interaction and the next page starting to load... so those delays added to your clicks could actually hurt your CWVs.

You can see here how to add a delay to a link, but also that Adobe no longer recommends its use:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1709010162597.png

I would try and confirm if the error you are seeing is false positive... a lot of the testing tools rely on seeing the 200 response code for the pixel before they will show that tracking occurred, but as I said, the request only has to make it to the server, not back in order to actually work.