Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

need clarity on data in data feed

Level 2

Hi Folks,

Currently, I am working on one problem statement where in my organization we have suddenly started getting drop in visits for a specific segment from a specific date for one of the mobile app.

We have the adobe mobile SDK integrated into the app to capture the data in adobe analytics, and we completely rely on processing rules to process the context variables, then further store the data in traffic or conversion variables.

Now, for the initial problem statement in hand, The first step was to be sure that the segment which is applied to pull out the report has some logical change because of visit might have been dropped. 

The segment is pretty straightforward, it only applies the filter on one traffic variable containing the value specific to the app name.

Hence, I just started doing research on the traffic variable which is used in segment conditions. To find that is there any scenario where the value of this traffic variable is missing.

We also have a data warehouse that stores the raw data from adobe analytics data feeds. I just applied a query on the data warehouse where the traffic variable value is null and the page contains the value which we are passing in the app SDK. there are a few hits that I got from the query in a data warehouse.

My observations from the data feed data are that there are records where the page name value is populated along with the time stamp, post_visId_high, and post_visid_low; except these all others fields are null for these records.

In fact, the following fields are also null or 0. Ideally, these fields are managed by SDK itself, or managed on adobe analytics server.

visit_num
First_Hit_Time_gmt
visit_page_num
page_event
os_id
language_id
post_mobilelaunchnumber

Just want to understand, is there any possibility where that any misconfiguration in processing rules logic can lead to these kinds of records in data feeds?

Thanks,

Nitesh

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Do you have AEP Assurance added to your mobile app? This extension will allow you to test your mobile app and see both the context data you are sending to Adobe, as well as the resulting "processed" data...

This would be a good place to start to see what data is being sent on your tracking calls and if your processing rules are correctly mapping the data.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Do you have AEP Assurance added to your mobile app? This extension will allow you to test your mobile app and see both the context data you are sending to Adobe, as well as the resulting "processed" data...

This would be a good place to start to see what data is being sent on your tracking calls and if your processing rules are correctly mapping the data.

Community Advisor

While I can't help with getting it set up, if you haven't already seen it, I hosted one of the AEP Engineers for a user group session that walked through using the tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgNm_cggLM

This will at least get you started on using the tool once it's installed.

Level 2

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan for this video link. It is really helpful.

But my app dev team uses the legacy adobe mobile service SDK, not the AEP SDK, for the adobe analytics integration.

I believe the team could integrate the AEP assurance SDK only after migrating to the latest AEP SDK for adobe analytics integration.

Community Advisor

Honestly, I am surprised that is still working.. Mobile Services was supposed to be sunset last December:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/mobile-services/using/eol.html

If I were you, I would try and update ASAP... I would hate for it to just stop working one day leaving you with no tracking on your apps....

Level 2

The end-of-life announced by adobe for the mobile services doesn't include the analytics.

That's why it is still working in my case. 

Community Advisor

But it's also the interface that drives your mapping rules... I would still be worried about those rules failing.... Unless those were essentially copied into your Processing Rules? I only used Mobile Services many many years ago.... when we started our new apps in 2020 I skipped Mobile Services completely since I knew its EOL was coming (not there yet, but it made more sense to start with newer tech). So I really don't know how Adobe mitigated issues when they turned it off (obviously better than how Google handles stuff: the old Mobile SDK, Universal Analytics, etc)

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!