Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Migrating to Dynamic Tag Management

Level 1

Hi all,

I have a site tagged through on page JS, but would like to add new features / rules etc with the Dynamic Tag Manager.

I have created the web property, checked on the "Adobe Analytics page is already present" and rename the "Object Name" to s2.

But, for the s_code part, where either "managed" or "url" needs to be chosen I am not 100% sure what to do and what it involves:

I have read the manual: (https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dtm/index.html#Adobe_Analytics)

but what should I do if I just wanted to add new features/rules but change nothing from the native code?

Many thanks,

Manuel

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

The data element is fine. Tag Manager connection with Site Catalyst is not quite established for some reason, especially when it coexists with a standard SC implementation

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 1

Hi Harry,

Many thanks for the tip. The article is great, the problem is me :)

Anyway, I have set up Dynamic Tag Manager, added Analytics, created a data element, and created a very simple page load rule that populates a prop.

The data element is fine (I checked by getVar), the rule fires, but the prop does not get populated for some reason (does not even appear in DigitalPulse)

What could the reason be?

Cheers,

Manuel

Level 2

Hi Manuel,

You're further with DTM than I am; I just read a lot about it and did some homework.  Have to wait till January (sigh). But just to be sure: did you set a prop in Omniture for it? Or was it an existing one?

Thanks,

Harry

Employee

Make sure that you are setting the prop to fire in your page load rule:

[img]Image 269.png[/img]

If that is configured ok, can you show us how you are populating your data element? I'd suggest setting the data element to something simple (like document.title) as a test:

[img]Image 268.png[/img]

Level 1

Hi Manuel - 

If you are populating your prop by JavaScript in DTM, be sure and use the entire DOM path in your variable assignment.  Eg:
window.s.prop3 = "prop.name";

If you are assigning your prop in the Adobe Analytics setup, make sure you add the prop before you save the setup.  I have had clients that use the drop downs, but not add setup.

wes

Level 1

Hi Wes,

Many thanks for replying, I am actually assigning my prop via Adobe Analytics setup and well, when I get out and in of the page load rule, the drop down and box is still there retaining the values, so I guess it is saved.

Manuel

Level 1

Hi Jacob,

I have created the data element you suggest:

[img]dataelement.png[/img]

but for some reason it does not come up via satellite debugger:

_satellite.getDataElement('title')

TypeError: Cannot read property 'selector' of undefined
_satellite.getDataElement(title)

ReferenceError: title is not defined

And this is how the page load rule is set with both this and another data element (which returns a value when debugged):

[img]page load rule.png[/img]

Level 1

Hi Harry,

I haven't actually tagged anything yet, so not much further ahead :)

I was using an existing prop, but an empty one, copied from an older report suite, however I have just set a new one only for DTM but it has not worked either.

Cheers,

Manuel

Employee

Will you verify that this data element change is published, or check that you are loading the staging version of the js file? After you define the title data element, the following code should always return a value (at least an empty string) even if it isn't used in any rules yet:

_satellite.getDataElement('title')

It appears to me that you have configured everything correctly.

Correct answer by
Level 1

The data element is fine. Tag Manager connection with Site Catalyst is not quite established for some reason, especially when it coexists with a standard SC implementation

Level 1

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue with my DTM implementation with Adobe Analytics code already present.