Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Marketing channel rules | Last chance - Other referring domain

Level 3

Hi All,

Wondering if the experts can take a look at one more query on 'marketing channels'
I'm using the default rule for 'other referring domain' channel & wondering why is it capturing social network traffic & Typed/bookmark? I have also kept this at the last processing rule order.

Is there any impact if we create two or more than two rules/condition for the same channel(Organic social to be more specific - as we also use tracking codes for our organic social media mix).

Rule setup:

If All of the following are true:

Referrer is not empty
(Ignore hits matching internal URL filters)
Channel as Other referring domains & value to referrer

Thank you for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

(answering in main thread instead comment)

ok, trying to explain:

the "referrer" is a dimension that persists as long as no new referrer is set. the detection for a "referrer" is rather simple, basically looking for the "browser referrer" not matching internal URL filters: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/components/variables/dimensions-reports/reports-ref...

on the other hand, "marketing channels" is a complex rule set (as you sent the screenshot). and a channel (depending on the expiry) might persist across multiple visits.

in your report table you mixed both dimensions which gets you into "trouble". some of the values don't make any sense at all since they have different expiry.

just an example: a user comes to your website by social networks, marketing channel is set and the referrer should be perfect. but if the same user comes again the next day (another visit), directly accessing the website the dimensions will be mixed:

referrer: set to "Direct/Bookmarked" (no info)

marketing channel": would match "Direct" but I assume you have "no override", so the last "MC" (social) will stay alive (depending on expiry). so your "report" shows information basically about "different visits"...

best use "marketing channels" with breakdown "MC details" to report on the "same entry".

let me know if you need more information!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

it should catch those items. so wither there is a bug in the other rules (letting through some of the hits) or it is a reporting issue. since I assume the second, might you post a screenshot how you validate the marketing channels? eg. a table from workspace where we can see the dimension (including breakdown) and the metrics  would be useful.

Level 3

Sure, here it is..

Marketing Channel

Processing rule setup:
processing rule

Thanks!

Community Advisor
can you use "marketing channel instances" in the same table and post again? will explain the difference after having seen the screenshot...

Level 3

Sure - here's the screengrab with 'instances':

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

(answering in main thread instead comment)

ok, trying to explain:

the "referrer" is a dimension that persists as long as no new referrer is set. the detection for a "referrer" is rather simple, basically looking for the "browser referrer" not matching internal URL filters: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/components/variables/dimensions-reports/reports-ref...

on the other hand, "marketing channels" is a complex rule set (as you sent the screenshot). and a channel (depending on the expiry) might persist across multiple visits.

in your report table you mixed both dimensions which gets you into "trouble". some of the values don't make any sense at all since they have different expiry.

just an example: a user comes to your website by social networks, marketing channel is set and the referrer should be perfect. but if the same user comes again the next day (another visit), directly accessing the website the dimensions will be mixed:

referrer: set to "Direct/Bookmarked" (no info)

marketing channel": would match "Direct" but I assume you have "no override", so the last "MC" (social) will stay alive (depending on expiry). so your "report" shows information basically about "different visits"...

best use "marketing channels" with breakdown "MC details" to report on the "same entry".

let me know if you need more information!

Level 3

Thank you! This is helpful.
So, I have then tweaked the rules a bit & now at least we don't see social referrers coming under 'other referring domain' channel.

However, it seems to be a problem with our implementation & that's why we see %referrer% & None value when we break it down by 'MC details'. Any thoughts?

Also, if I breakdown 'None' bucket under the 'marketing channel details -for Other referring domain' by search engine-Natural, then everything was coming under 'Google'. So, it's not related to the order but could be the way channels are being setup?

What could be the reason for the 'None' channel?

Thanks!

Community Advisor
the %referrer% looks like an implementation issue, maybe a typo or a DTM/Launch implementation where the data element does not exists

Community Advisor
"None" as "Marketing channel" means a visit where you didn't have a match in the rules at all. so the user came to your site and no channel rule matched - basically "unknown"

Level 3
Thank you once again! I'll look into Launch & investigate the cause of %referrer% & try to sort the 'None' channel as well.