Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Map context data when using Edge Bridge

Level 2

Hi community! 

I've been struggling a little bit migrating an Adobe Analytics implementation in reactnative mobile app from ACP-prefix to AEP-prefix. I've already followed all the steps on this guide https://github.com/adobe/aepsdk-edgebridge-ios/blob/main/Documentation/tutorials/edge-bridge-tutoria...

At the end there is a step in which we have to map manually the contextdata key values into the XDM schema. Here are my questions:

1. Is it mandatory to map the contextdata to XDM even if we are just using Adobe Analytics and no other tools from Adobe? 

2. Do I have to also map contextdata in processing rules to the respective evars, props?

3. Can somebody explain me with a diagram or an example the workflow on how variables are being mapped and send to Adobe Analytics services?

Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hey @ArlemGabriel !

1. Is it mandatory to map the contextdata to XDM even if we are just using Adobe Analytics and no other tools from Adobe? 
    • It is if you want to eventually remove the dependency on the Adobe Analytics extension in your mobile app code.  It's a different layer transporting the contextData so it needs to match the mapping so that it can properly send to Adobe Analytics.
  2. Do I have to also map contextdata in processing rules to the respective evars, props?
  3. Can somebody explain me with a diagram or an example the workflow on how variables are being mapped and send to Adobe Analytics services?
    • This can vary based on how your have it set-up and organizational needs, but the following are paths you can take:
      • Utilize the schema template Adobe Analytics ExperienceEvent Template to send map data directly to Adobe Analytics without too much configuration on Datastream side
      • Set up your own schema and map variables via your Datastream configuration in Adobe Experience Platform
      • Use Data Prep for Data Collection to map contextData by pasting your JSON structure and then using that to map to Schemas.  

Hopefully this is helpful, the problem I've been running into on my end is understanding the various different options and which works best based on the organization I'm working with from a governance perspective.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Administrator

Hi @ArlemGabriel , this is a great question! I'm working to find some additional answers to your question, but in the meantime, here's some documentation that might help you along your way. 

https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/solution/adobe-analytics/migrate-to-edge-network/

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hey @ArlemGabriel !

• It is if you want to eventually remove the dependency on the Adobe Analytics extension in your mobile app code.  It's a different layer transporting the contextData so it needs to match the mapping so that it can properly send to Adobe Analytics.
    • This can vary based on how your have it set-up and organizational needs, but the following are paths you can take:
      • Utilize the schema template Adobe Analytics ExperienceEvent Template to send map data directly to Adobe Analytics without too much configuration on Datastream side
      • Set up your own schema and map variables via your Datastream configuration in Adobe Experience Platform
      • Use Data Prep for Data Collection to map contextData by pasting your JSON structure and then using that to map to Schemas.  

Hopefully this is helpful, the problem I've been running into on my end is understanding the various different options and which works best based on the organization I'm working with from a governance perspective.  

Level 4

Hi @ArlemGabriel ,

Working on a similiar initiative, with AEP Moble SDK React Native. And since we need to keep using trackState/Action, and the Analytics extension is no longer supported in the React Native version of AEP SDK, we are exploring Edge Bridge extension.

Did you end up doing Data Prep to map context data to XDM before sending data to AA? As I found that Data Prep is not needed for AA according to the documentation, so a bit confused and appreciate if you can share your experience.

https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/solution/adobe-analytics/migrate-to-edge-network/

Thanks,

John

Level 2

Hi @Hey_John,

Based in what I have experienced, YES, 'Data Prep' to map context data to XDM is needed. Searching I found this guide, I have followed all the steps and I have successfully transitioned two apps from ACP to AEP using Edge Bridge. If you use 'Data Prep' you don't need to use 'Processing Rules'. 

Hope that helps!

Level 4

Hi @ArlemGabriel ,

Thanks for your reply. Is your ACP to AEP projects involves eCommerce? Would like to see if it's going to be easy or not to do the Data Prep for eCommerce product string, especially for the situation where the product string contains multiple products.

Thanks,

John