Expand my Community achievements bar.

Lowered Activity Map

Community Advisor

Hi,
Our's Activity map has lowered down in last quarter. What are the possible ways to troubleshoot to find out why this has happened? Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 10.51.56 AM.png

31 Replies

Community Advisor

Yes, we did a redesign to our website in November. There were many navigation changes to our site. Could that be the contributing factor? Can you guide what details I should check with IT on that?

Community Advisor

Basically, I had one area of our site recently changed that is impacting my tracking.. if you look at some of your navigation items, and use your inspect elements mode... you may see an anchor tag (and when inspecting it, you should see the outline of it's area)... If ONLY the text of the link is the area of the anchor, but there is a block around it that is also "clickable"... when the text is clicked that would be tracked, when the surrounding block is clicked, that won't be... That might be why you see tracking when you test (you are more precise when clicking and are right on the text, but users aren't)?

Or there may be elements on the page with no anchor at all!

You would have to look at pretty much every clickable element on the site to see what is happening.. which is why I suggesting trying to find some specific elements that appear the most impacted first and checking them.....

Community Advisor

I do know which pages have lowered the activity map, for example, we have redesigned the home page but 2nd most page is our search which we haven't changed at all, and many other pages like that. Mostly BODY region of the activity map is impacted. But what about the browser version why there is a decline in Chrome users? The thing I mentioned about JS errors I am seeing in the developer console is fixed. however the issue still exists. 

Community Advisor

The decline in Chrome users in conjunction with this issue could just be a result of overall traffic decline in Chrome... you should compare trends of general traffic with the issue to see if the patterns there are consistent... 

Activity Map issues by browser could be sending you in the wrong direction if this is indicative of your site traffic in general.

Community Advisor

for me, the decline is majorly pushing me towards redesign and changes done on the website since November. I have the list of pages, and list of links that are declined with clicks but what should be the next step to address this to resolve?

Community Advisor

If redesign has caused this to be sure look at things like referring domains, did you lose alot of bookmark and search engine traffic?

Perhaps missing pages need a better redirection strategy if not done so. now

Community Advisor

Honestly, our web traffic has been the highest in November in three years 

jsvasu_0-1677102209751.png

this is what bothers us.

Community Advisor

Right, but I am not referring to traffic as a whole.. more based on browser type... your users may have shifted away from Chrome to other other browsers, or from Web to App, or things like that... it wouldn't be a traffic decline.. but a shift of traffic from one form to another...

Community Advisor

Can you guide me more on how I can check web clicks at the device level if possible in adobe analytics and is there a way out to check on that shift of traffic from one form to another that you are mentioning? 

Community Advisor

jsvasu_0-1677791670483.png

I found this card component is not getting tracked for the activity map, is it because navigating link is not an anchor link instead its through the data attribute? Do you have any link to know what cant be tracked via activity map?

Community Advisor

Only actual semantic navigation items can be tracked with Activity Map... this means anchor tags and buttons.. "clickable divs" are not navigation items... just because a developer can make them clickable and make them navigate, Activity Map will not recognize it... 

I've got a lot of custom code in my implementation to improve our Activity Map and I still have no solution for such as scenario....

At this time, the only way to make this track would be to add actual click tracking onto the card (but this will be a separate server call, and still will have no Activity Map data associated to it) or to redesign the code of the card to be a block displayed anchor tag with all the elements inside (CSS Flex Box, or other type frameworks can make this work.. you may need to change divs to spans... sometimes divs inside of anchors don't work)

If you find a way to get Adobe to recognize the Div as a clickable element, let us know....