Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Link clicked analysis

Level 8

Hello Adobe community !

I've been loocking on all my server calls, and I figured that I should see what we are really sending as Custom links.

It seems that we have a lot of "link clicked" on my custom link Report. How can I go further in my analysis ? I breakdowned by my URL prop to see which URL is launching these. Any further info or analysis I could do ?

Thanks again Adobe Community !

Mario

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi there Mario / marion33678522​,

When the value of "link clicked" is populated in the custom link report, this means that a value for the friendly name of the Custom Link was not sent. Unfortunately doesn't give you much more information, but when you look at the tag in your debugger, check out the pev2 value.

Hope that helps a little!

Eric

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi there Mario / marion33678522​,

When the value of "link clicked" is populated in the custom link report, this means that a value for the friendly name of the Custom Link was not sent. Unfortunately doesn't give you much more information, but when you look at the tag in your debugger, check out the pev2 value.

Hope that helps a little!

Eric

Level 8

Hello Eric / ericmatisoff

And what's the pev2 value ?

Custom links are related to the Event Based rules right ?

Thaks again!

Employee Advisor

Hey Mario,

Custom link reports are generally used to perform a comparative analysis on different links on a page. For example, on Sports page of a website, they are multiple links related to Cricket that takes a user to espncricinfo.com, say one is a simple link, other is embedded in an image. You could analyze the numbers against those links to see which is performing better.

Further, to analyze, the page URL breakdown would give the URLs. Additionally, you could analyze the parameter "pev2" (it specifies the link name) in the server call (using debugger). Or, if you pass that in an eVar or prop, you could break the custom links by those as well.

Hope it helps!

Employee Advisor

Correct - in DTM either an Event Based Rule or a Direct Call Rule.

Keep an eye out in those rules where Link Name is not set:

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 1.01.30 PM.png

Level 8

Hello Eric !

Follow-up question - in my reports, all of my custom links can't be breakdowned with my pages (that's why I the URL prop to get where are they comming from) .
I was wondering , is this consequence of checking s.tl() ?

And another question - someone once told me that checking the s.tl() bullet also meant that no hit was send to the servers - but I guess he was totally wrong ?

Thanks again for all your help Eric !

Mario

Employee Advisor

Mario,

In case of custom link calls (s.tl() calls in general), the page related parameters aren't captured. This is why you are unable to breakdown custom link report with pages. And it is an easy workaround to capture URL in a prop and break it down with that prop, as you are doing.

Further, you're correct, in case of s.tl() calls, hit is definitely being sent to the Analytics server, it is just that the page related parameters (such as pagename) are discarded.

Best!