Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Key perfomance indicator (KPI)

Level 2

Hi Community,

We are working on a website which is having 2 KPI's "Pageview per return visitor" & "Visit per return visitor", can anyone help us understand  how to calculate this metrics, also the business has set a target value of "4" for both of this, but we are not able to achieve this  so for, Can anybody suggest a method so that we can improve on our KPI's.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hey there,

I am going to break this response into two sections.

Let's tackle how to get to those KPIs first. There are a couple of ways to get to those KPIs.

The easiest one is to create a segment for return visitors by setting the segment container to "Visitor" and defining it with the visit number being greater than 1.

kayawalton_0-1702389657226.png

Create a freeform table and drop "Visits/Visitor" and "Page Views/Unique Visitor" as columns and apply the Return Visitors segment you just created. This will allow you to see trends over time or if you drop other dimensions into the row header, compare how traffic sources, marketing channels, geolocation affect the two KPIs you're monitoring.

If you want the flexibility of having a calculated metric without needing to apply the segment, you will still need to create that Return Visitor segment. Drop the segment first into the calculated metric definition, and then drop visits (or page views) divided by unique visitors.

kayawalton_1-1702390295883.png

Now that you have the resources to get the data, you can figure out why your business is not meeting the target of 4 visits (or pageviews) per return visitor.  First, I would evaluate if having 4 as the target makes sense. Does it take 4 pages to get to the end goal? If so, use a fallout or flow visualization to see if there are breakdowns in specific steps that stop them from moving forward.

Does it take 4 visits to complete a specific task? If so, how are visitors reminded to complete the next task in the subsequent visits? You can use that to create a freeform table to see if certain reminder channels are less effective than others.

These ideas could also help you identify if it takes users less than 4 to reach the end goal and you may need to adjust your target accordingly. Without having additional info about your business, these are general directions where I would start, but happy to help further if you want to share more information.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by

Hey there,

I am going to break this response into two sections.

Let's tackle how to get to those KPIs first. There are a couple of ways to get to those KPIs.

The easiest one is to create a segment for return visitors by setting the segment container to "Visitor" and defining it with the visit number being greater than 1.

kayawalton_0-1702389657226.png

Create a freeform table and drop "Visits/Visitor" and "Page Views/Unique Visitor" as columns and apply the Return Visitors segment you just created. This will allow you to see trends over time or if you drop other dimensions into the row header, compare how traffic sources, marketing channels, geolocation affect the two KPIs you're monitoring.

If you want the flexibility of having a calculated metric without needing to apply the segment, you will still need to create that Return Visitor segment. Drop the segment first into the calculated metric definition, and then drop visits (or page views) divided by unique visitors.

kayawalton_1-1702390295883.png

Now that you have the resources to get the data, you can figure out why your business is not meeting the target of 4 visits (or pageviews) per return visitor.  First, I would evaluate if having 4 as the target makes sense. Does it take 4 pages to get to the end goal? If so, use a fallout or flow visualization to see if there are breakdowns in specific steps that stop them from moving forward.

Does it take 4 visits to complete a specific task? If so, how are visitors reminded to complete the next task in the subsequent visits? You can use that to create a freeform table to see if certain reminder channels are less effective than others.

These ideas could also help you identify if it takes users less than 4 to reach the end goal and you may need to adjust your target accordingly. Without having additional info about your business, these are general directions where I would start, but happy to help further if you want to share more information.

Community Advisor

I just want to add one thing to @kayawalton's answer... the "Return Visitor" definition is a bit nebulous... 

The one as defined by Adobe "Return Visits" is the same as what Kaya showed:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1702396062698.png

You don't actually have to make your own segment, this is already made out of the box...

But this is basically an "All Time" value, any user who has come to your site more than once.. even if that once was years ago.

If that definition is okay with you, then you can certainly use it, however, if you want to get fancier, and look for Return Visitors within a specific time frame (i.e. Return Visitors in the last 30 days) so that you are taking recent activity into account, then you can actually create a segment like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1702396447152.png

Days Since Last Visit won't apply to anyone on their first visit, only to Return Visits. (Note, if you see Days Since Last Visit = 0 days, this means the user came back on the same day)

This might be more beneficial to you, given that you are trying to see Visit by Return Visitor... and if this is the first visit again after years, this would drag down the average.

Hi @VikramspATexper -- sure, but I am not sure what additional information do you need. If you can clarify, I would be happy to elaborate.