Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Internal impression tracking and bounce rate?

Level 6

Hi,

due to the architecture of our website we need to fire more than 1 tracking call on our landing pages, to track some ad impressions. Those items are loaded after the initial tracking call is fired. In order to not destroy the bounce rate, how do these additional tracking calls need to be configured? Is there a way?

According to the doc Bounces consider all server calls, so they don't distinguish between page views and other hits? Any ideas to solve this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

as far as I understand the calculation of the bounces, a second call (whatever type it is) would destroy the bounce rate. therefore, firing a second call might not be the right option.

depending on business requirements you have other options:

1. do not track initial page load and wait until you can track everything together (page load and impression)
  2. discuss with business some user actions when they consider it not beeing a bounce. that means business defines either time or a user action (like scrolling/click) as beeing active and not a real bounce. fire the second call with impressions on this trigger.
  3. just save impressions somewhere (cookie, user storage) and send it on the next regular server call. but you would loose all the impressions for single page visitors and might be difficult for reporting.

without further knowledge of your requitements and technical setup I would prefer option 2) as the way to go, maybe 1) if the time lage is really small.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

I recommend you look at direct call rules. You can then create an impression event that does not increment pageviews.

If you are using DTM

Create New Rule

GLTU

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

as far as I understand the calculation of the bounces, a second call (whatever type it is) would destroy the bounce rate. therefore, firing a second call might not be the right option.

depending on business requirements you have other options:

1. do not track initial page load and wait until you can track everything together (page load and impression)
  2. discuss with business some user actions when they consider it not beeing a bounce. that means business defines either time or a user action (like scrolling/click) as beeing active and not a real bounce. fire the second call with impressions on this trigger.
  3. just save impressions somewhere (cookie, user storage) and send it on the next regular server call. but you would loose all the impressions for single page visitors and might be difficult for reporting.

without further knowledge of your requitements and technical setup I would prefer option 2) as the way to go, maybe 1) if the time lage is really small.