Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Interaction per page is related to videos only

Level 2

Good morning,

I only work with AEM for a short time. My question is - can you see how much interaction per page is related to videos only?

How do I need to query this?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

How are you defining "interaction per page"?

Adobe isn't a heartbeat system, each hit has a specific use:

• Page View (triggered when the page is loaded)
  • Clicks / Actions (triggered on specific items or actions , like expand or collapse elements, potentially triggered when you scroll to 50% of the page, this also include Video Actions such as play, pause, complete, video progress, etc)

Now, for Videos, if you are using the default Adobe Video Tracking Module, it can get pretty close to a heartbeat, triggering every X seconds tracking the video progression... how you have configured your video tracking, will determine how many actions are triggered.

Now, if you are talking about your "time spent" per page metric, Adobe's time spent is a basic calculation based on your Page Views, example:

Page A > Page B > Page C

• Time spent on Page A, is:  Timestamp Page B - Timestamp Page A
  • Time spent on Page B, is:  Timestamp Page C - Timestamp Page B
  • Time spent on Page C cannot be determined as there is no next timestamp to perform the math

Now, let's say you have videos on page B and Page C...

If you are tracking video interactions when the user gets to certain progress points (and are tracking the time duration), it will still be extremely hard to calculate time spent on videos out of the time spent on the page, since users can scrub the video (skip or repeat parts of the video by grabbing the video position handle), plus, you will have video actions on Page C (i.e. any "last page of site") that you have no time spent...

Trying to calculate this out. no matter how good you write the math to try and compensate for the complexities, I don't know if you could ever get an accurate division of time reading the page vs time spent on the video....

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

How are you defining "interaction per page"?

Adobe isn't a heartbeat system, each hit has a specific use:

• Page View (triggered when the page is loaded)
  • Clicks / Actions (triggered on specific items or actions , like expand or collapse elements, potentially triggered when you scroll to 50% of the page, this also include Video Actions such as play, pause, complete, video progress, etc)

Now, for Videos, if you are using the default Adobe Video Tracking Module, it can get pretty close to a heartbeat, triggering every X seconds tracking the video progression... how you have configured your video tracking, will determine how many actions are triggered.

Now, if you are talking about your "time spent" per page metric, Adobe's time spent is a basic calculation based on your Page Views, example:

Page A > Page B > Page C

• Time spent on Page A, is:  Timestamp Page B - Timestamp Page A
  • Time spent on Page B, is:  Timestamp Page C - Timestamp Page B
  • Time spent on Page C cannot be determined as there is no next timestamp to perform the math

Now, let's say you have videos on page B and Page C...

If you are tracking video interactions when the user gets to certain progress points (and are tracking the time duration), it will still be extremely hard to calculate time spent on videos out of the time spent on the page, since users can scrub the video (skip or repeat parts of the video by grabbing the video position handle), plus, you will have video actions on Page C (i.e. any "last page of site") that you have no time spent...

Trying to calculate this out. no matter how good you write the math to try and compensate for the complexities, I don't know if you could ever get an accurate division of time reading the page vs time spent on the video....

Level 1

Dear Jennifer,

thank you so much for your help. I will try it out.