Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

In Omniture SC, Page Views is more than Instances

Level 1

Hello,

Question 1:

When I check the All Reports>>Custom Conversion>>Custom Conversion 71-75>>display, I find that page views is bigger than Instances.

In my normal understand, Page views is same or similar to the instances.

But as the image below showing, Page Views = 2120, Instances = 856.

[img]Q1.jpg[/img]

I want to ask, in what situations can that occur (Page Views > Instances)?

Question 2:

I work in China, when I check the report by hour trends in Omniture SC, the time zone is EST (showing in the image below).

How can I fix that to display the report by Beijing time (China time zone)?

[img]Q2.jpg[/img]

Thanks a lot!

Cloud Han

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi

1. Comparing instances with page-views would be a wrong practice according to my knowledge because both are meant for different purposes and assigned to different streams of variable.

2. For timezone you need to contact your admin (from your company) or account manager, changes to timezone could bring discrepancy changes in data/reports.

Regards

Devinder

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 5

Hi

1. Right perspective to visualize a metric or reports is "Instances are used to conversion variable where pageviews are used from traffic variables"

Instances are the number of times that a value was set for a variable.

Instances are counted for all hit types, but are not counted when a value is recorded for a variable on a subsequent hit due to persistence.

For example, if a user arrives on your site via example.com, the first image request on your site contains the referrer of example.com. When this value is set, one Instance is attributed to example.com even though this referrer is recorded for all pages viewed during that visit.

2. The EST time zone was configured while setting up a report suite , reports are furnished according to that timezone which is configured ignoring the user (SC report consumers) geographic location.

Changing would create data discrepancy if company ( owner company of reportsuite ) consume data according to PST or IST, changed to any other timezone than data recorded for the new timezone will fall under different dates as compared to the PST.

Data will be displayed as configured as timezone (dates and time) ignoring the consumer location(timezone).

Regards

Devinder

Level 1

Hi Devinder,

Thank you for your explanation! 

Can I understand that, in this case, Page Views = 2120, Instances = 856

A. Is the 2020 means total page views including both homepage and sub pages of my site?

B. Is the 856 means only page views of homepage from traffic variables?

C. If there is 0 instance and a lot of Page Views and visits, can I understand that these visits are all come from typing the URL to browsers and then landing to the site?

2. "Data will be displayed as configured as timezone"

As far as I know, my SC account is branched from our company's account.

Can I ask my company to add a special configure timezone for me(such as PST)? With out changing my American colleagues' original timezone (EST).

Thanks!

Cloud

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi

1. Comparing instances with page-views would be a wrong practice according to my knowledge because both are meant for different purposes and assigned to different streams of variable.

2. For timezone you need to contact your admin (from your company) or account manager, changes to timezone could bring discrepancy changes in data/reports.

Regards

Devinder