Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!
SOLVED

Import information in Adobe Analytics using eVar as Key

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I have been capturing unique IDs for campaigns that drive traffic to the site in an eVar. Obviously, these IDs don't provide much information about the campaigns. I have a mapping file that provides the campaign information mapped to the IDs in a key-value format, with the unique ID being the key. Is there a way to manually import the values into another eVar, or even better, is there a way to automate this process?

Thanks,

Suchindra

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, this sounds like a perfect job for the Classification Importer.

Basically you would create classifications on your eVar for the information that you need to map in, then you would create mapping files based on the needed Adobe structure and import that into Adobe... every time the ID is captures the classifications will be processed (there may be some delay on the actual processing). When new IDs are created, you can upload new mapping files:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-impo...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, this sounds like a perfect job for the Classification Importer.

Basically you would create classifications on your eVar for the information that you need to map in, then you would create mapping files based on the needed Adobe structure and import that into Adobe... every time the ID is captures the classifications will be processed (there may be some delay on the actual processing). When new IDs are created, you can upload new mapping files:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-impo...

Level 2

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your response as always.

I would like to use the classified value (campaign name) to map additional information about the campaign. If I use classification to obtain the campaign names, can I then use the campaign names to create further classifications? Are there options for sub-classification, or should I consider importing the values into a new eVar? 

Example: Campaign ID: RRT0612112 - Campaign Name: AMS_FB_AW_Q3. As you can see, the campaign name is a _ separated string of values. I have the mapping of these values as well that I want to bring into AA. In this case, AMS is the region, FB is the media platform, AW is campaign type and Q3 is the time.

Hope this helps explain the issue.

Community Advisor

Hi, so I am guessing you have 1 eVar (let's just say eVarX) for Campaign ID, and 1 eVar (let's say eVarY) for Campaign Name.

You can set up classifications on 1 or both of these with different rules, but it seems like the Campaign Name is where you are thinking... 

So in your format, you basically have [region]_[platform]_[type]_[quarter]

So depending on how many values you have for these, you might be able to use the Classification Rule Builder (as opposed to the Importer).

Basically you can set up 4 classifications on eVarY (one each for "region", "platform", "type" and "quarter").

Using a regex like:
/([a-zA-Z0-9]*)_(FB)_([a-zA-Z0-9]*)_([a-zA-Z0-9]*)/g

Then in the Rule Builder, you would map "Facebook" to your platform classification... you would need to set up a specific regex rule for each known value...

Or, if you just want to split your values as is, you simply use something like:
([a-zA-Z0-9]*)_([a-zA-Z0-9]*)_([a-zA-Z0-9]*)_([a-zA-Z0-9]*)

And pass group 1 ($1) into the region classification, and group 2 ($2) into the platform classification, etc....

But if you need additional information (that may not be in any of the above values, you could create a classification import on your IDs, and map each individual campaign in your eVarX classifications such as:

RRT0612112  mapped to "summer promotion" or "black friday sale" or other values that you know about your campaigns that aren't actually in the parameters that are captured, but could be useful for reporting.

Level 2

The problem is that I do not have the campaign name in an eVar. I just have the campaign ID. So taking your example, I have eVarX but do not have eVarY. Also, I cannot get the eVar in the traditional way in the query string parameter.

Community Advisor

Ok, then if you only have the ID, you can use the Classification importer to map the values you need.

So you would set up classifications on your eVarX, then for each id like "RRT0612112" you will have to specify the region, platform, type, quarter, etc... 

After setting up the classifications, you can download the classification template, then using that format fill in the IDs and values that need and upload it.

Hopefully you can create this as an automated process from where your campaigns are being managed....

Community Advisor

@skala18 

Try using the Adobe Analytics SAINT API to programmatically import the campaign information and map it to existing eVar values (unique campaign IDs)