Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

If I create a processing rule for a concatenated value to fire off of a media call (ie Media Start, Content Start, etc), do these values get attributed to those specific metrics but not the entire Heartbeat Session?

Level 2

Would the following example processing rule, with a condition to run when media heartbeat metrics are set (ie media start, content started, etc), only create the rule for those specific metrics or would it also be included for the entire HB session?

If any are true:

a.media.view Is Set

a.media.play Is Set

Overwrite evar1 with concatenated value:

• custom value: no show name

if evar1 is not set

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

From https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/manage-report-suites/edit-report...

Processing rules are applied to data as it is collected, and rules are applied to all data that comes through the AppMeasurement libraries and through the Data Insertion API.

This implies that Processing Rules are applied at the Hit level.

So what you're doing is similar to setting s.eVar1 directly in your implementation. And when that happens, the usual rules of eVars apply, i.e. the reported values depend on your eVar1's configured Allocation and Expiration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

The rule:

If any are true:

a.media.view Is Set

a.media.play Is Set

Basically means if there is ANY value in the context variables a.media.view OR a.media.play then your rule will trigger and eVar1 will be overwritten with your custom value. I don't use the media plugin, so I am not sure if those variables are populated with values on the entire HB session... 

"Is Set" basically means, there is a value... not the action which initially sets a value. Processing Rules aren't that smart.. they just evaluate every request as it comes in, in isolation of one another.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

From https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/manage-report-suites/edit-report...

Processing rules are applied to data as it is collected, and rules are applied to all data that comes through the AppMeasurement libraries and through the Data Insertion API.

This implies that Processing Rules are applied at the Hit level.

So what you're doing is similar to setting s.eVar1 directly in your implementation. And when that happens, the usual rules of eVars apply, i.e. the reported values depend on your eVar1's configured Allocation and Expiration.