Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Identifying Surface users operating Google Chrome

Level 1

Hi guys

I know this question was asked a couple of years ago but I'm having this problem at the moment.

Possible to find out Windows Surface Tablet users?

I'm trying to identify users using chrome on a surface tablet. (We are receiving feedback from these user and are trying to quantify the problem)

The surface pro I'm using doesn't even have the 'touch' parameter in the user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 Edge/15.15063

I've tried creating a segment with the rule user agent string contains 'touch' and browser type is google.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Stephen,

The reason why surface is not classified in device report is because Microsoft has not provided a way to distinguish a computer vs. the Surface. Because of this we are unable to detect whether a device is the Surface or not.

-Ankit

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Stephen,

The reason why surface is not classified in device report is because Microsoft has not provided a way to distinguish a computer vs. the Surface. Because of this we are unable to detect whether a device is the Surface or not.

-Ankit

Level 1

Thanks Ankit. So I guess this means it's not possible to track surface users.

Level 1

Read up on the new User Agent Client Hints standard. By supporting it in Edge 90 and later, it will now explicitly identify the Surface Pro with the Sec-CH-UA-Model property.  It's also supported in Chrome 92.  Firefox isn't keen on it though.