Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to use Summary Change for dynamic/custom date range selection in Workspace?

Level 2

I realize you can compare to set date ranges and rolling date ranges in Workspace. What I can't figure out is how to adjust for when a user wants to compare to their own custom date range. For example, I want a dashboard where a user can:

1. Select a month and see A) total visits and B) summary change from the previous month 

2. Using the same widgets as #1 the user can select the last quarter and see the summary change from the previous quarter

3. Using the same widgets as #1 the user can select a random day and see the summary change from the previous day

I don't want to have to set up a bunch of different visuals just to show different date ranges and the percentage change from the same previous range. This seems like a really basic feature but it doesn't appear to be possible. 

Appreciate any tips.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

The main issue is that Date Ranges use today's date as the end date. For example, I have segments for "Last week", "Last month", and "Last Year". Because these are built in Date Ranges, the end is always today. If I change the panel date range from the default (This month) to December 2019, applying the aforementioned date segments doesn't shift everything back a month. 

What probably needs to happen is Adobe would need to add a relative option to the Date Range Builder interface. Currently, you can use Rolling Dates that have either a fixed start/end or a rolling start/end. Perhaps a checkbox that says something like "Make start/end relative to panel date range". 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 5

My understanding is that "current" will always refer to the day, week, month, quarter, year associated with today's date. This means that it will likely be impossible to allow a user to select a date and then have all the comparison data update to be relative to that selected date. It's a bummer for sure, and I've wound up creating reports in Tableau to allow for choose-your-own-adventure date range comparisons. 

Level 2
It doesn't have to be current exactly, but if I have 14 days selected I want it to update to compare to the previous 14 day period, or 30 days vs. previous 30 days. We seem to be limited to just one range option for rolling comparisons for Summary Change.

Correct answer by
Level 5

The main issue is that Date Ranges use today's date as the end date. For example, I have segments for "Last week", "Last month", and "Last Year". Because these are built in Date Ranges, the end is always today. If I change the panel date range from the default (This month) to December 2019, applying the aforementioned date segments doesn't shift everything back a month. 

What probably needs to happen is Adobe would need to add a relative option to the Date Range Builder interface. Currently, you can use Rolling Dates that have either a fixed start/end or a rolling start/end. Perhaps a checkbox that says something like "Make start/end relative to panel date range". 

Level 1

Is there any update on this date range issue? It's 2024 and I'm building dashboards that offer the same date range flexibility, but I am still running into an issue where filters do not allow said comparisons (e.g. Compare Q1 2024 to Q4 2023). 

Adobe Champion

Hi @RWJFRe -- they just rolled out an update where the Comparison Date automatically updates depending on how the Key Metrics Summary is set. I believe the default is that the visualization compares the selected date range to the previous period with the same time length.