Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to split list prop in analytics workspace

Level 5

HI,

We are tracking analytics on product listing page, contains list of products, filters and sort options. I have a question on one scenario where user selected filters(checkboxes) are populated in a prop which is list enabled with delimiter comma(,). For example if user selects multiple filters, prop value would look like filter1,filter2,filter3.... When I am trying to create a report in Analytics Workspace, using this list prop as a dimension, I still see comma-separated values. Our aim is to find out which individual filter has more hits or been selected most of the times. Do I need to explicitly configure something to split the prop with delimiter comma?

Can you please help here.

@PratheepArunRaj @Jennifer_Dungan @yuhuisg 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The impact should be minimal.. basically, once you turn on List and choose a delimiter, any time that delimiter is seen the data will be split on it.. if no delimiter is seen, the value should track as always (one item, on one row).

What you should be aware of however are these:

1. Choose your delimiter carefully with a character that is unlikely to be a part of the string that is being sent...  as in, if you are send author name, sometimes those might be in the system as "lastname, firstname" and if you use comma as your delimiter, this user actually gets split into two rows... 

2. Your prop is still limited to 100 characters max... so if you pass a lot of values, your data can be truncated... unlike your three dedicated "List" dimensions (which have up to 255 characters per item, meaning that you can pass a large number of items to Adobe)

3. You're already encountered this one, data collected before "list" was enabled won't be processed as a list... so if you need to look at historical data, you need segments....

Now another option for you, since you are doing search filters? I assume those values are limited and don't change much? You could just use Classification Rule builder to set up a classification for each filter, so that your prop continues to track the way it always did, but you have a specific classification for "filter1" or "filter2", etc... or to create a segment to look for each filter... leaving your prop set up untouched... 

Or use one of your dedicated List dimensions instead of changing your prop. (You can even use your list items as a general collection for multiple things... use a prefix on each item to identify it, then use classifications to split the filters to the "Filters Classification" and the "Use 2" to a different classification...

There are many ways collect and process the data.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 5

Hi @yuhuisg ,

I have already enabled that particular prop to be List and provided delimiter(,) in Report Suite settings. But when I drag and drop this prop as a dimension in Freeform table, it still displays comma separated values in each row. I would like to get individual filter values in each row for example

filter1 ----> occurences

filter2 ----> occurences

filter3 ----> occurences

Please note that data in prop was populated before it was list enabled, will this cause an issue?

Community Advisor

Is this happening with all values, even up to today, or only for historical date ranges before you had enabled the list configuration?

Level 5

Hi @yuhuisg ,

I just noticed that it is happening with historical data, recent data after enabling list option for prop looks fine. Is there any way we can get this applied to historical data too?

Thanks for your inputs.

Community Advisor

I don't know of any way to change historical data.. the list configuration is part of the processing.. once the data has been processed it doesn't re-process.

If you need historical data, you may have to create segments for each filter:

propX contains "filter1"

and anther segments for

propX contains "filter2"

etc...

Community Advisor

I suspect that setting the prop's list configuration changes something in the way that AA processes the prop's value subsequently. You could try contacting Client Care to see if they can do something about your historical data.

Level 5

Thanks @yuhuisg @Jennifer_Dungan for your inputs. One last thing I would like to know is when I change existing prop to enable it as list, what is the impact? I would like to determine the scope of regression after enabling the list prop.

Thanks

Srikanth

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The impact should be minimal.. basically, once you turn on List and choose a delimiter, any time that delimiter is seen the data will be split on it.. if no delimiter is seen, the value should track as always (one item, on one row).

What you should be aware of however are these:

1. Choose your delimiter carefully with a character that is unlikely to be a part of the string that is being sent...  as in, if you are send author name, sometimes those might be in the system as "lastname, firstname" and if you use comma as your delimiter, this user actually gets split into two rows... 

2. Your prop is still limited to 100 characters max... so if you pass a lot of values, your data can be truncated... unlike your three dedicated "List" dimensions (which have up to 255 characters per item, meaning that you can pass a large number of items to Adobe)

3. You're already encountered this one, data collected before "list" was enabled won't be processed as a list... so if you need to look at historical data, you need segments....

Now another option for you, since you are doing search filters? I assume those values are limited and don't change much? You could just use Classification Rule builder to set up a classification for each filter, so that your prop continues to track the way it always did, but you have a specific classification for "filter1" or "filter2", etc... or to create a segment to look for each filter... leaving your prop set up untouched... 

Or use one of your dedicated List dimensions instead of changing your prop. (You can even use your list items as a general collection for multiple things... use a prefix on each item to identify it, then use classifications to split the filters to the "Filters Classification" and the "Use 2" to a different classification...

There are many ways collect and process the data.