Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

How to see the referring domains inside the marketing channel Internal?

Level 1

I have few sister websites from our main website. If I look at the Marketing Channels I can't see the Referrer Domains if I use for instance Marketing Channel Detail or Referring Domain.

inductiekookplaat.org is our main website and I want to see how many visitors were from our sister website top-x.nl when they converted. What dimension do I use to see the referrers within Internal in Workspace?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10

1. Your Marketing Channels might not be set up to track your sister domains. You might want to discuss this with your AA admin. Here is how we set up the rule for the same purpose:

RobertBlakeley_0-1713534417301.png

2. Have tried the Referrer dimension? What is treated as referring domain is also set up by your AA admin in the Internal URL Filters form. Any domains listed will not show up in the Referrer dimension in Workspace. If your sister domains are on the list, they will not be in the Referrer report.

RobertBlakeley_1-1713534798196.png

3. If your page names are based on URL, your admin might be able to create a classification or use a processing rule based on page name. For example, our page name are in the format "webmd.com/something/something". The admin could create a classification on page name that grabs the value up to the first / and sets that value into a classification.

Community Advisor

First question I have to ask is: Is the domain of the Sister Site added as an Internal URL? If both sites track into the same global suite, this is how it should be... but then, this also will not track as a referrer (intentionally).

I assume this is the case by your statement "What dimension do I use to see the referrers within Internal in Workspace?" but I am just confirming.

If this is the case, then your Marketing Channel shouldn't trigger, it will be the Marketing Channel that brought users to the sister site that will be recorded... same with Referrer...  your internal domains won't be available (at least out-of-the-box).

So if you need to look at your current state, you may have to use Flow / Fallout / Segmentation (Sequential) to try and get some information.

Going forward, you might want to build-in some sort of custom "Internal Campaign" tracking (using a visit expiry eVar - and not to overwrite any of your external campaigns, since you would want to make sure that external efforts to drive traffic aren't lost).

You could also create a custom hit expiry eVar (I say eVars simply for the 255 character limit as opposed to the 100 character limit that props have) to track your referrers (internal or external) so that you can see specifically how the users are flowing... but of course, on the conversion, that would be the previous page... so you could also look into a Visit expiry eVar that only tracks the referrer when it doesn't match the current domain of the page... this should act similar to the Adobe Referrer, but won't exclude your internal urls.... but it won't trigger on every page, only when the user comes from A to B, or from B to A, or from C to A, etc....