Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to measure the number of clicks

Level 2

Hi AA community !

I'm finding a way to measure the number of clicks for the specific CTA.

I want to differentiate those visitors who click CTA only one time and others.

e.g.,

Segment1: Visitors visit A page and click B CTA one time

Segment2: Visitors visit A page and click B CTA more than twice

If you have any good ideas for building segmentation, let me know.

It would be greatly helpful for me 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @AAong ,

Basically, you just need to create two segments where segment 1 with a "metric" equal to 1 and segment 2 with that "metric" greater than 1, and both segments should be at the Visitor level. You can add further definitions to limit the page equal to page A and CTA to button B.

The "metric" to be used depends on how you track the CTA button click. If you have a custom event tracked upon CTA click, it is the preferred metric, where I generally recommend doing custom event tracking for any non-page view tracking.

If there is not any custom event tracking on CTA, you should at least have an eVar tracked with CTA button click and use the "Instance" of that eVar as the metric in the segment definition.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @AAong ,

Basically, you just need to create two segments where segment 1 with a "metric" equal to 1 and segment 2 with that "metric" greater than 1, and both segments should be at the Visitor level. You can add further definitions to limit the page equal to page A and CTA to button B.

The "metric" to be used depends on how you track the CTA button click. If you have a custom event tracked upon CTA click, it is the preferred metric, where I generally recommend doing custom event tracking for any non-page view tracking.

If there is not any custom event tracking on CTA, you should at least have an eVar tracked with CTA button click and use the "Instance" of that eVar as the metric in the segment definition.

Level 2

Hi @leocwlau 

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried setting up segmentation as you commented, but still has problems;

As I want to only include some specific CTA located on specific pages, if I create segmentation with visitors level, this would also include visitors who visited A page and then click CTA on the other page that has the same tagging. So I tried to change the lower level of segmentation into "hit", but doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions for this case too?

Community Advisor

Actually, if you only want to get the number of visitors, you can simply create the segment at the hit level with the page and CTA criteria.

However, if you want to expand that to other dimensions/metrics to analyze the behavioural difference between these two segments, you will need to include the above hit level segment into a Visitor level segment to expand the scope.

Level 2

Hi @leocwlau 

Oh, I see.. I will try this one! Thanks for the prompt help

Community Advisor

I know that Leocwlau was helping you, but I wanted to add some visual context help.

Without taking the page into account yet in my samples:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1692713735220.png

OR

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1692713757697.png

These are at "Visit" Level, so they will match Visits that have the criteria, but every hit in those visits will be returned (unless you have a specific metric like "action a clicked" and you also use that event in your table you will get inflation)...

Now, if you only want to return the actual clicks within the visit, but be able to pair with other data, you can actually do this:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1692714081293.png

OR

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1692714143808.png

Notice that the segment itself is at the HIT level.. the first container is also at HIT level, looking specifically for "action a" hit exists, but then I add a VISIT level clause for "action a" and the Visit Level criteria for the number of times action a was triggered inside of the Visit.

This will find the visits that match the 1 or 2+ criteria for the action being triggered, but it will limit what is returned by the segment only to those specific actions. 

You can easily add a specific page for the actions into the logic above.

If you are looking at "clicks per Visit" as per your:

Segment1: Visitors visit A page and click B CTA one time

Segment2: Visitors visit A page and click B CTA more than twice

You should NOT ever be looking at Visitor level scope in your Segments, as that will look at clicks across ALL Visits for that User... So if the user clicked 1 time per visit, using Visitor scope would trigger the 2+ rule even though they only did it once within the Visit.

You can pair these Visit or Hit level segments with your UV metric (in your freeform table) to get the Visitors that meet the criteria of 1 Click or 2+ Clicks within their visit.

Level 2

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

It really helps me a lot. I can resolve this problem using hit & visit levels at the same time! Thanks for your kind explanation🤩

Community Advisor

Yes, as long as you think about the segment logically (to ensure you are pulling what you think you are), you can mix scopes with containers. Another popular combination is Visit Level segments, with Hit Level Containers (so that you can make sure very specific "hit level" combinations exist within the Visit - as opposed to different hits in the Visit matching in a disjointed way)

Glad I could help.