Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to interpret t_time_info and post_t_time_info from raw data?

Level 1

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to derive some useful information from analytics clickstream raw data and noticed there are two fields t_time_info and post_t_time_info.

From Analytics Help and Reference, these two fields are "Raw time information from JavaScript. Used to determine the visitor's timezone." This information could be definitely help in plotting users' activity across the day. My question is how to interpret these fields properly?

Here are some examples get from the two and related fields:

date_timet_time_info
post_t_time_info
2018-02-16 12:08:1716/1/2018 9:8:16 5 48016/1/2018 9:8:16 5 480
2018-02-16 12:29:2316/1/2018 12:29:23 5 30016/1/2018 12:28:36 5 300

I try to understand date_time as the server time, the t_time_info (post_t_time_info) as the client time. The gaps between the two are resulted from time zone differences. Any thoughts how I should interpret them properly in SQL when I read these fields?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I'm glad you asked this, because quite frankly it's one of the most confusing and arbitrary fields out there. Here's what our internal tool says about t_time_info:

And post_t_time_info is the same, after processing rules and VISTA rules are applied. As a rule of thumb you'll almost always want to use post_ fields when reporting data.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I'm glad you asked this, because quite frankly it's one of the most confusing and arbitrary fields out there. Here's what our internal tool says about t_time_info:

And post_t_time_info is the same, after processing rules and VISTA rules are applied. As a rule of thumb you'll almost always want to use post_ fields when reporting data.

Level 1

Thank you very much, Gigazelle, for your clear explanation! Very professional!

A following-up question and to confirm with you about the date_time field: does it record the server time of the hit with respect to how the timezone of the server is set?

Thanks again for your explanation!

Employee Advisor

The date_time field is when a hit was recorded based on the report suite's time zone.