Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to get to get the correct Natural Search numbers?

Level 1

We are trying to pull the Natural search numbers. We tried using a segment ( referrer = Search engine & paid search = Natural ), then we used the Natural search engine report and then the marketing channels report. All the 3 gave different results, Can anyone help me with the best way to pull the numbers?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You didn't mention what "numbers" you're using, so I'm going to assume that you meant "Visits".

You first have to understand how AA attributes traffic to search engines/referrals and Marketing Channels.

Referrals, which Search Engines fall under, are set with the first hit of a browser session. Note: this is not an AA Visit! So as long as the user keeps his browser tab/window open with your website, the referral/search engine will never change, mainly because the "document.referrer" string for that browser tab/window hasn't changed as long as it remains open.

Marketing Channels are determined by your Marketing Channel processing rules. You'll need to refer to these rules in your AA report suite to determine the logic for how your "Natural Search" channel is being set.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 8

It is best practice (and default when implementing Adobe) that you have a Marketing Channel called "Natural Search". 

Hopefully it should just already setup and ready for you to use.

Manage marketing channels | Adobe Analytics

Thanks

Dave

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You didn't mention what "numbers" you're using, so I'm going to assume that you meant "Visits".

You first have to understand how AA attributes traffic to search engines/referrals and Marketing Channels.

Referrals, which Search Engines fall under, are set with the first hit of a browser session. Note: this is not an AA Visit! So as long as the user keeps his browser tab/window open with your website, the referral/search engine will never change, mainly because the "document.referrer" string for that browser tab/window hasn't changed as long as it remains open.

Marketing Channels are determined by your Marketing Channel processing rules. You'll need to refer to these rules in your AA report suite to determine the logic for how your "Natural Search" channel is being set.