Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to determine how a bookmarked or Frequently Viewed report was created (i.e. path to the base report)?

Level 2

With a bookmarked report in Reports & Analytics, how can I tell exactly how the report was initially created? In other words, how can I determine what the exact path of the initial report that it is based on, as well as other options like the Preset Date Range?

I am reporting for a client that switched reporting suites and am trying to recreate some bookmarked reports in the new one, but I can't find anywhere that specifies exactly how a report was built, and some of the numbers seem suspiciously high enough to make me think I haven't duplicated the report setups correctly. (I was not involved at all in implementation and many others have access.) It might not even be possible to duplicate exactly due to the implementation differences. For example, I have some bookmarked "Original Entry Pages" reports in the original suite that I think (but am not 100%) are built by following:

View All Reports > Paths > Pages > Entries & Exits > Original Entry Pages

But in the new reporting suite, there isn't even a Paths option at the top level below View All Reports. The closest I could find in navigating within the new suite is:

View All Reports > Pages > Page Name Pathing > Entries & Exits > Entry Page Name

But I apparently can't modify the metrics in that one, so I didn't use it. However, there is an "Original Entry Pages" report listed under Frequently Viewed that looked right, so I used that one (I think) to set up my new bookmarks. Now, I'm not sure, and I also don't see an "Original Entry Pages" in searching all reports, other than the bookmarks I created. So where did that one come from? How would it have been built originally? I can't tell for sure with that one or my bookmarked reports.

Thanks if you can help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Don,

The best way to determine the bookmark you have created is from the report URL.

e.g.: I created a bookmark for pages report with preset as last 7 days, if you look at the URL below which is the URL for the bookmark I saved

https://sc.omniture.com/sc15/report/index.html?rp=preset|Last%207%20days%3Bperiod_from|07%2F09%2F15%3Bperiod_to|07%2F15%2F15%3Bperiod|1150609D7%3Brange_period|1&r=Report.MostPopularPages&a=Report.Standard&ssSession=201721bb3b0d98beb27b9540a5da24fb&jpj=49503269669611

As I have highlighted the part of the URL which helps in getting the details you have asked above.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Ankit

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Don,

The best way to determine the bookmark you have created is from the report URL.

e.g.: I created a bookmark for pages report with preset as last 7 days, if you look at the URL below which is the URL for the bookmark I saved

https://sc.omniture.com/sc15/report/index.html?rp=preset|Last%207%20days%3Bperiod_from|07%2F09%2F15%3Bperiod_to|07%2F15%2F15%3Bperiod|1150609D7%3Brange_period|1&r=Report.MostPopularPages&a=Report.Standard&ssSession=201721bb3b0d98beb27b9540a5da24fb&jpj=49503269669611

As I have highlighted the part of the URL which helps in getting the details you have asked above.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Ankit

Level 2

Hi Ankit,

That is somewhat helpful, especially for the preset date range. However, I'm still mystified how I could reproduce from scratch the "Original Entry Pages" report that I mentioned finding in the new suite. If I just click on "Original Entry Pages" as it's listed underneath Frequently Viewed, I get this URL:

https://sc2.omniture.com/sc15/reports/index.html?a=Report.Standard&r=Report.GetConversions&rp=ec_pri|36%3Bec_reset|1&ssSession=0301e1d956e0bea25cb24eaf6aa19f3a&jpj=5636239951127

I have no idea how "Report.GetConversions" would generate a Report called Original Entry Pages, and I can't fine anything like that when I search the reports. The only ones that have "conversion" in the report name aren't it.

This is also pretty sad if that's actually the best way to determine how a report was built. Especially for bookmarked reports, there should be some info in the Edit Bookmark dialog that tells you exactly how the report is defined (and it sure would be nice to be able to modify more than just the report name and location too!).

Thanks,

Don

Employee Advisor

Hi Don,

Unfortunately from the UI or the bookmark manager the method that I have described above in the only way to get the information, but I agree for some reports it's hard to identify for which report the bookmark is derived for.

However using API bookmark method you can get this information for each and every bookmark, here is the document for the same: https://marketing.adobe.com/developer/api-explorer#Bookmark.GetReportDescription

Regards,

Ankit Sharma

Level 2

Hi Ankit,

This is so close to what I'm looking for but I'm still somewhat puzzled. I was able to get results for some of my bookmarks but:

1) The date ranges show the actual dates that would be generated by pulling the report, not the Preset Date option that is actually used in the bookmark.

2) The particular reports that are puzzling me (Original Entry Pages) are all returning this response, so I can't get any help at all. I can run the reports, so I'm assuming "not supported" means that they're not supported by the API Explorer tool. I hope it doesn't mean I've been running invalid reports. (Of course, that's what I'm trying to determine - what ARE these reports?!?)

{
    "error":"Bad Request",
    "error_description":"This bookmark is not supported",
    "error_uri":null
}

3) Even for the ones where I get a good response like you show in your example screenshot, I'm still in the dark about how to translate the ID's under "elements" into a report path. In other words, if I was trying to duplicate the report you are showing in your screenshot, how would I determine exactly where to navigate in the reporting menu to find the "entrypageoriginal" report? I tried browsing through the API Explorer's Report options but couldn't find anything. Is there a mapping reference somewhere?

Thanks a ton if you can help with any of these questions. I'm kind of appalled that it's this insanely difficult to determine how a bookmarked report was built.

Cheers,

Don

Employee Advisor

Don,

In API some reports are using different terms to denote the reports e.g. here entrypageoriginal is original entry page which resided under Path >> Pages >> Entries & Exits >> Original entry Pages.

Share the API method and API call you are running while you are getting the message mentioned above

"{
    "error":"Bad Request",
    "error_description":"This bookmark is not supported",
    "error_uri":null
}"

Regards,

Ankit Sharma