Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to change ownership of an API prorject?

Level 2

Hi, I'm trying to find out how to change the ownership of an API porject from one account to another. In this case I want to change the ownership of a project I've created to another account. Is the ownership shared for all the users in the subscription or must be shared or changed like the assets of the workspace projects?

I'm also wondering if one account is deleted if the project will still work or does it need to be created again?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hello.  Thanks for getting back to me.

I think the biggest hurtle you will have will be have the correct 'access rights'.

Meaning, when i created a new workspace project via the API, it was assigned to my 'techAccount' email address which is different than my Adobe Analytics Log In email address.  So I was able to use a PUT url of "https://analytics.adobe.io/api/mcdona4/projects/{{project_id}}" and a body script of 

{
    "rsid""{{rsid}}",
    "owner": {
        "id""{{ownerId}}",
        "name""{{ownerName}}",
        "login""{{ownerLogIn}}"
    }
}
to transfer the project from my Tech Account over to my Adobe Analytics Account

but if I tried to reverse the ownership (meaning transfer from my Adobe Analytics Account back to my TechAccount) i get a 'insufficient access' error.  because the asset is no longer under my TechAccount ownership

The work around I came up with has to share the project with both accounts.
you can do that by adding the Shares tag to your postman script.  It might look something like this

shares: [{shareToId: "xxxxxxxxxx", shareToType: "user", accessLevel: "edit"}]
 {shareToId: "xxxxxxxxx", shareToType: "user", accessLevel: "edit"}
  1. accessLevel: "edit"
  2. shareToId: "xxxxxxxxx"
  3. shareToType: "user"

sharing 'edit' access seems to fix the 'insufficient access' issue and i'm able to develop the project via the API while at the same time letting the end Adobe Analytics User see the updates i'm making.

I hope that helps give you some ideas.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 2

Hello.  Quick follow up.  I've been able to transfer ownership of an Analysis Workspace project between two users within the same company/account using Adobe's API and Postman.  You can do the same thing within the Adobe UI, but i was able to get it to work using Postman.  Is that what you're looking to do?   Or are you looking to transfer assets across companies?  Thanks for the clarification.

Level 2

I was trying to do it in the same company, lets say from account corporate1_user1 to the account coporate1_user2.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hello.  Thanks for getting back to me.

I think the biggest hurtle you will have will be have the correct 'access rights'.

Meaning, when i created a new workspace project via the API, it was assigned to my 'techAccount' email address which is different than my Adobe Analytics Log In email address.  So I was able to use a PUT url of "https://analytics.adobe.io/api/mcdona4/projects/{{project_id}}" and a body script of 

{
    "rsid""{{rsid}}",
    "owner": {
        "id""{{ownerId}}",
        "name""{{ownerName}}",
        "login""{{ownerLogIn}}"
    }
}
to transfer the project from my Tech Account over to my Adobe Analytics Account

but if I tried to reverse the ownership (meaning transfer from my Adobe Analytics Account back to my TechAccount) i get a 'insufficient access' error.  because the asset is no longer under my TechAccount ownership

The work around I came up with has to share the project with both accounts.
you can do that by adding the Shares tag to your postman script.  It might look something like this

shares: [{shareToId: "xxxxxxxxxx", shareToType: "user", accessLevel: "edit"}]
 {shareToId: "xxxxxxxxx", shareToType: "user", accessLevel: "edit"}
  1. accessLevel: "edit"
  2. shareToId: "xxxxxxxxx"
  3. shareToType: "user"

sharing 'edit' access seems to fix the 'insufficient access' issue and i'm able to develop the project via the API while at the same time letting the end Adobe Analytics User see the updates i'm making.

I hope that helps give you some ideas.

Level 2

Thanks for sharing your source code. Is it the same operation as trasnferring the assets using the Adobe GUI?

Level 2

You can use the Adobe GUI to transfer assets, yes.  But if you're an admin, you won't have issues transferring assets to or from users.  It's the API only that has the 'insufficient access' issue.

in the Adobe Analytics GUI (not the Experience Platform Admin area), if you're not familiar, in the Admin menu there is an option for "Analytics User & Assets".  In there look for the 'current owner' of the project, click the checkbox next to his/her/their name and click the 'transfer assets' option that appears after you click the checkbox.  Then search for the 'new owner's account' and select the asset or assets you want to transfer.  You can transfer 'all assets' if you want or you can transfer just one asset.

I hope that helped and best of luck

Level 2

Thanks, that's exactly what I've done. I've used the Adobe Analytics GUI to transfer all the assets. But I wasn't sure about the API projects of the developer console (developer.adobe.com/console/home) are also transfered using the procedure of the graphic interface. I haven't seen the owner properties have changed.

Level 2

I am not aware of a way to change ownership of API projects from one individual to another and it doesn't appear that this is mentioned anywhere in the Adobe documentation.  I'm guessing that Customer Care may have to handle a request like this, if it is even possible.

Level 2

the project api documentation does have a section on updating projects

https://www.adobe.io/apis/experiencecloud/analytics/docs.html#!AdobeDocs/analytics-2.0-apis/master/p...

you just need to send a PUT request to /projects/{id}

in the Body you specify what you want to change as discussed earilier in this posting

I hope that helps

Level 2

I had encountered a similar issue and experimented with the access for the tech account.  I set up one project with a tech account that has Adobe Analytics admin access for being able to view items across our entire implementation.  So, another option to sharing the project is for the API to have admin access.  In that case,  there are not any issues with the tech account being able to transfer ownership to/from any other user, including itself.