Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to block web.archive data in adobe analytics

Level 3

Hello everyone,

Added condtion in adobe analytics extension but still web.archive data flowing into adobe analytics. for your refference please check below screenshot.

reddy_y11_0-1691565420233.png

Please help me on this how can i block the web.archive data permanently. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @reddy_y-11 ,

Use JavaScript to check the document.referrer property to identify if the referrer is from web.archive.org

var referrer = document.referrer;
if (referrer.includes("web.archive.org")) {
// Add an action to prevent specific tags from firing
}

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @reddy_y-11 ,

Use JavaScript to check the document.referrer property to identify if the referrer is from web.archive.org

var referrer = document.referrer;
if (referrer.includes("web.archive.org")) {
// Add an action to prevent specific tags from firing
}

Community Advisor

That code looks like it should work...

When I open a site on the WayBack Machine, the hostname is "web.archive.org.. there is no need to look at the referrer....

However, I am not seeing any Adobe, or Google Analytics being triggered from the archive at all... it's like all those executions of tracking are being removed by the Internet Archive... I check some other known sites using Adobe and I cannot see any tracking..  It's interesting that you have tracking showing up when other sites do not....

I know we used to see tracking for pages in the Internet Archive... perhaps this is a new behaviour... 

What sample data are you working with on this?

Level 3

@kamlesh-maddheshiya and @Jennifer_Dungan thanks for the quick replay.

@Jennifer_Dungan yes, we don't see any server calls but the data still following into the analytics for your refference please check the below screenshot

reddy_y11_0-1691653092936.png

Community Advisor

That's interesting... 

When I check our data for web.archive.org, I see between 20 and 30 Occurrences up until Oct 2021... then it drops down to pretty much nothing...

Would you be willing to share one of those urls with me (a private message is fine), I would like to see how your site is coded / what is happening on the Wayback Machine to see if I can help with a working code.

Community Advisor

@reddy_y-11 what is the expiry setting of v3 in Admin for the report suite and how is that captured? As suggested by the v3, it is an evar, so if the "web.archive" is captured into the v3 which is a visit expiring evar, all subsequency page views will be attributed to that v3.

You may also play around to break down v3 with the default "Page" dimension and use the "Instance of" metric for v3 to see if there is any observation.

Community Advisor

True.. but if this is truly the "Page URL without Query String Parameters" as it's named, even the most extreme "never expire" setting would be overwritten the moment the user hits any page on the site...  I can't see that having a major impact....

Community Advisor

Sure. Just as I see that is an evar and think it should be worth a check on how the value is being captured.

Community Advisor

Agreed.... "should" and "are" can be very different... there is no guarantee that the implementation was done correctly / logically.

If that eVar isn't being set on every page, and has anything other than a HIT expiry, it could be having unintended behaviour.