Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How should overcome this impact on Analytics with the new Apple webkit upgrade? How to maintain the returning visitors as due to Apple webkit upgrade they decreasing over time?

Level 1
Analytics getting impacted with the new Apple webkit upgrade. I assume this could be a common issue across multiple analytics solutions. So wanted to understand if for any of the clients there was a solution proposed on the same.

Apple Webkit project (including Safari and iOS/iPadOS browsers) will apply the 7-day expiration cap for first-party cookies to HTTP responses set from "third-party" IP addresses. If the first half of the IP address of the response differs from the first half of the IP address of the resource the user is navigating, Web Kit will apply these cookie expiration constraints.

This means that popular "CNAME cloaking" workarounds such as setting cookies from a cloud service (that runs server-side tracking) hosted on a subdomain will no longer prevent cookies from being prematurely expired on WebKit browsers. This expiration will cause an exponential increase in the number of "new visitors" as all cookies will expire after 7 days. And the number of "returning visitors" will keep decreasing over time.

As all the data is sent to adobe analytics tracking servers which are hosted by adobe itself , with the complete sub domain ownership ( example smetrics.client.com etc.).

How should overcome this impact on Analytics with the new Apple webkit upgrade? How to maintain the returning visitors as due to Apple webkit upgrade they decreasing over time?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

My understanding is the switching our implementations to the Web SDK, which will set server side cookies is likely going to be the solution moving forward....

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

My understanding is the switching our implementations to the Web SDK, which will set server side cookies is likely going to be the solution moving forward....