Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How can I send custom events to Analytics?

Level 2

Hi,

I'm very new to this, up to today I only worked with Clicky and Google Analytics.
The lack of videos about how to, using javascript, send custom events to Adobe Analytics, makes it hard to figure out the best way.

I have this from the client:

Category (SC_LeadGen) is sent over eVar70 as a text value. The other tests we run are sent over the same EVAR when we come so far:

Category

label

Action

Description

Event

SC_LeadGen

OPEN_A

shown

Sent when design version A is being shown

SC_LeadGen

Open_B

shown

Sent when design version B is being shown

SC_LeadGen

OPEN_A

CTA_Click

Sent when a user clicks on the CTA button in design version A

SC_LeadGen

Open_B

CTA_Click

Sent when a user clicks on the CTA button in design version B

SC_LeadGen

OPEN_A

Submit_Success

Sent when a user has clicked the button in version A landing on the acknowledgment page for registration

SC_LeadGen

Open_B

Submit_Success

Sent when a user has clicked the button in version B lands on the acknowledgment page for registration

from what I can gather, and that's not much, is that:

- the Adobe Analytics global variable is "s"

- I can from there, change and set for example s.eVar70 = "Something useful"

but how can I send event ids actions? how, from a client-side javascript I can submit actions on those events?
after set s.eVar70 = "Something useful" what is the other command that actually sends the new data back to Analytics?

Thank you for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

There are two type of tracking calls:

• page view call s.t() — it sets Page dimension and increments Page Views metric (apart the other vars)
  • custom call s.tl() — it can be used for any type of onpage events happening after the page load when you do not want to increment Page Views

Visitor interaction with an overlay can be also tracked with s.tl(), it's referenced as Custom Link tracking (it should not be necessarily a link click, it can be anything you want to capture).

The payload is all type of variables you want to send. For example, following your table:

• one eVar for A/B/n variations
  • one event for CTA clicks
  • one event for successful submissions

So it may look something like:

s.eVar1="version A";

s.events="event1";

s.linkTrackVars="eVar1,events";

s.linkTrackEvents="event1";

s.tl(true,"o","SC_LeadGen|OPEN_A|CTA_Click");

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 2

Hi Andrey,

First of all, thank you for all your videos, they are helpful in trying to understand Adobe analytics and you just lacking one that we can actually, from javascript, send something and then we would see the event in Analytics ...here's an idea for the next video series

You pointed to Link Tracking, but I'm trying to accomplish is to send custom events (event_id 300 ~ 304) as that's already setup from the client part ... After reading the hole page you sent, I think it's not really the right way to send such information.

Can you please review my question and tell me how can I send those custom event ids back to analytics? it's not link tracking, as the events will occur based on the user actions on an overlay that we have created.

Thank you.

Correct answer by
Level 10

There are two type of tracking calls:

• page view call s.t() — it sets Page dimension and increments Page Views metric (apart the other vars)
  • custom call s.tl() — it can be used for any type of onpage events happening after the page load when you do not want to increment Page Views

Visitor interaction with an overlay can be also tracked with s.tl(), it's referenced as Custom Link tracking (it should not be necessarily a link click, it can be anything you want to capture).

The payload is all type of variables you want to send. For example, following your table:

• one eVar for A/B/n variations
  • one event for CTA clicks
  • one event for successful submissions

So it may look something like:

s.eVar1="version A";

s.events="event1";

s.linkTrackVars="eVar1,events";

s.linkTrackEvents="event1";

s.tl(true,"o","SC_LeadGen|OPEN_A|CTA_Click");

Level 2

Hi Andrey,

I have to tell you, I'm a bit lost in Analytics UI ... maybe you can give me a slight push

To test if the event is sent correctly, where do I get to see the real time events? in GA, there's a RealTime > Events > Less than 30min and all custom events will start shown...

In AA I've tried "Custom Links Report" and "Real-Time", but none actually gives me anything about my event

screenshot_471.png

but only to realize that says [event66] ... maybe that's wrong but I'm very lost around here