Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Hits not in Debugger Visible for an eVar Persistent

Level 4

Hi All,

I have an eVar that visibly shows up in the debugger on the landing page from a paid ad. That eVar is set to persist until the end of the visit. I currently have a segment that looks at all hits for a specific tracking code in the eVar. Is the hit segment capturing all hits that persist after my landing page hit, even if the value is persisting and not visibly showing up in a debugger because it "persists" until the end of the visit in the backend?

Thanks!

14 Replies

Level 5

Hi @skatofiabah ,

From what I am understanding, you have created a hit level segment with tracking code equals let's say "abc". If you are looking to query visit level data, you would have to change the segment level to visit instead of hit. An eVar although persists for the visit, that typically provides binding of values with other page elements. So if you are looking to look at the value of that eVar with visit level values, you need a visit level segment to expand the scope.

If this doesn't answer your query, can you please provide additional information as to -
1. What report are you trying to build?
2. Segment definition screenshot (if possible)

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

Thanks for reaching out. So what I'm saying is eVar "abc" is a tracking code to identify a particular campaign. It visibly hits in the adobe debugger when a user lands on the homepage from the paid ad. In admin, it is set to persist on a visit, meaning if another tracking code happens in the same visit, the 2nd will overwrite the first. So, if I land on page 1, "abc" eVar1 shows in the debugger, but on subsequent hits, it doesn't show in the debugger, but it persists because of the rule. I think if this was set to the visit, it could capture other tracking codes we don't want. Let's say a user comes from the ad that has tracking code "abc" evar1, but later in the visit, then come from another ad. Adobe will count both in the same visit because Adobe is time bound assuming they happen relatively close to each other. So I think it needs to be on the hit level to make sure it says solely with those evars and tracking codes. Let me know if I'm wrong in my thinking as I read your post thoroughly.

Thanks!

Level 5

Hi @skatofiabah ,

So what you are saying is, you want your eVar to be populated only if your user is coming through Paid Ad? You don't want the eVar to be overwritten with any other channel tracking value within same visit?

If you have configured Marketing Channels, you can achieve this through below.
1. Use Marketing Channel Processing rules to restrict eVar receiving value when the channel is paid.
2. Use Attribution IQ in Adobe Analytics to look at various attribution models.
3. Prevent default overriding of Channels by any other channels except Paid channels.

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

I don't want to overwrite it. I just want a segment that will includeall activity from strictly the tracking codes that I segment on the hit level and with the evar that persists until the visit ends or overwritten. I don't think visit achieves this. Hits can occur for persisted evars, right?

Level 5

Hi @skatofiabah ,

Ok. So two scenarios -

1. Hit Level Segment - Will return only the interactions on your landing page for that specific campaign code
2. Visit Level - Will return interactions across the visit for that specific campaign code
3. Visit in Hit level Container - You can select Visit and use hit in inside container if you want to restrict actions.

If you can provide a sample use case of what you are trying to achieve, I may be able to help with segment definition.

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

See my screenshots below. I have 6 campaign tracking codes. I want to look at the pages/hits where this value image requested and persists. I think that page views will look at all pages/v7 within the sessions where the v21 persists. I think because my segment is hit level, it looks at persisted "hits" (page calls and link calls) throughout the whole visit. I don't think I want it at the visit level.

Thanks!

skatofiabah_0-1722950817541.png

skatofiabah_2-1722951061651.png

Level 5

Hi @skatofiabah ,

If you are only looking to query the URLs where you have that Campaign Code, you are correct in building the segment hit level only. If you were expecting the campaign code value to appear only once per visit, you may consider getting getValOnce plugin. You can breakdown your URL report with tracking code and you will get the view of tracking codes per URL.

I think what you are implying is that even if you are creating a hit level segment, because of eVar persistence, you are getting all page views of that visit. This is not true because when you are looking at URL report, the URL changes for each new page, hence you will only see the unique tracking code + landing page combination for only one page view (excluding reloads) per visit.

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

I think I understand what you are saying. However, the URL isn't what I filter on in my segment, it's the tracking code on a hit level. So I think this will capture all hits within a visit where the user came from tracking code "a".

Level 5

Yes it will. I just created a segment and tested. You can use Entries as a metric if you are looking to report on only the landing page views.

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

Thank you for the quick response. Can you provide a screenshot and example of the hit only segment? To not include visits?

Level 5

Hi @skatofiabah ,

You can use "Non-Repeating Instances" in the attribution model for your segment. That should resolve the issue you are facing.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/s....

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

I believe I want the "Repeating (Default)" attribution because if a similar explicitly set tracking code happens next hit, I'd want that too.

Level 5

Ok but that would also include persisted values.

Level 4

Hi @igupta ,

Yes! That's good! That's what I want because I want persisted non-explicitly set hits.