Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Getting the URL of a clicked Element that is set up as a Success Metric in Adobe Target Activity

Level 2

Hi Everyone,

New to Adobe and Analytics as a whole, and need some advice. I have an Activity in Adobe Target that is set up to report to Adobe Analytics. The Activity has an experience where certain Main Navigation Elements are chosen to be the Success Metric for the Activity when a User clicks one of them. I am looking for a way to be able to view these URLs in Analytics in instances where a user qualifying for the Activity clicks on one of these certain Main Navigation Elements that are selected to be the success metric. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The solution depends entirely on your Analytics implementation.

So, ignoring Target entirely (i.e. pretend that you don't have it running on your website), currently, when a user clicks that link that you want the URL for, is there any Custom Link tracking on that link click?

The easiest way to check would be with the AEP Debugger browser extension. This extension assists you to check all of the Adobe-related network requests originating from your browser activity. In that extension, click "Analytics" in the left rail. As you browse your website, the extension's view will fill up with columns of data, where each column represents a network request going to Adobe Analytics arising from a tracking implementation. The most common one that you'll see are for Page Views. But if Custom Link tracking has been implemented, then you'll also see columns of data for Custom Links. (There's a row called "Is Page View" that lets you identify the columns that are for page views vs not page views.)

Back to your situation. When you click that link that you want the URL for, do you see a corresponding column in the Debugger's "Analytics" view? If so, then do you see any eVar or prop row in that column that contains the link's URL? If the answers to both are "yes", then yes, you can indeed run a report showing the URL and its clicks within Analysis Workspace.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The solution depends entirely on your Analytics implementation.

So, ignoring Target entirely (i.e. pretend that you don't have it running on your website), currently, when a user clicks that link that you want the URL for, is there any Custom Link tracking on that link click?

The easiest way to check would be with the AEP Debugger browser extension. This extension assists you to check all of the Adobe-related network requests originating from your browser activity. In that extension, click "Analytics" in the left rail. As you browse your website, the extension's view will fill up with columns of data, where each column represents a network request going to Adobe Analytics arising from a tracking implementation. The most common one that you'll see are for Page Views. But if Custom Link tracking has been implemented, then you'll also see columns of data for Custom Links. (There's a row called "Is Page View" that lets you identify the columns that are for page views vs not page views.)

Back to your situation. When you click that link that you want the URL for, do you see a corresponding column in the Debugger's "Analytics" view? If so, then do you see any eVar or prop row in that column that contains the link's URL? If the answers to both are "yes", then yes, you can indeed run a report showing the URL and its clicks within Analysis Workspace.

Hope that helps.

Level 2

As an out-of-the-box solution Activity Map might help, if enabled. For basic data, you can use the Activity Map plug-in in the browser. For more advanced analytics such as building calculated metrics or segmentation, there a some Activity Map components available in Workspace. It might have some limitations though, such as dependency from different titles in a multi-language environment. Thus I also recommend, using a proper implementation with custom link tracking, which will be more robust.