Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Gatsby Data Element in Adobe Launch

Level 2

I'm unable to set up Adobe Analytics to fire on all pages while navigating our micro-site, which is built on the Gatsby platform; it fires only on some pages, with no apparent logic to when it actually does fire

Below is the Gatsby data element set-up in Launch, and there's also (of course) a rule that uses this data element to generate a page name variable / fire an Adobe beacon upon a direct call, but I feel like the issue itself lies with the data element

Thoughts / advice welcome

warrensassoon_0-1643201335730.png

10 Replies

Community Advisor

I know nothing about gatsby so cant be a definitive guide here.

In a nutshell you need to check for each page(virtual page if its a Single page  App) that you get an adobe beacon. You may need to add logic such that on those pages where it doesn't fire as expected you do something like a direct call rule to fire your Adobe tag.

You can use network tab in browser. Filter to see parameters tab use filter of "/b/ss/ and check if beacon fires as expected.

Level 2

Yeah, it is a single-page app, and I already use a direct call rule, which is why it's odd that it still doesn't work on all pages

Community Advisor

Hey Hi @warrensassoon 

As you said it's not fire on all pages however it's fire on some pages do you see any differences between these two - I would suggest to check in console or network tab. 

other thing I noticed in screenshot as you selected storage duration as PageView - Do you want to hold this value in each case? 

You have below choices available so check which is suitable for your requirement 

The available choices are:

• None
    • The value is not stored.
  • Page view
    • The value is held in a JavaScript variable until the page is refreshed or a new page is loaded.

• Can be created and set in scripts using _satellite object syntax:

_satellite.setVar('data_element_name')

• Session
    • Values persist in the browser’s session storage until the browser tab is closed.
    • Available throughout the site visit.
  • Visitor
    • The value is stored indefinitely in the browser’s local storage.

Hope this helps

Level 2

I'll have another look at the console / network data, and yeah, I do want to store as page view

Community Advisor

While this data element might be a culprit, I think you also want to check the Rule(s) that send your AA beacon. It could be that they have conditions that no longer match how your website works, so that's why the beacons are not being sent to AA for some pages.

Community Advisor

Could it be that with those untracked pages, _satellite.track("gatsbyRouteChange") is not being called?

Community Advisor

One critical item you will need to remind your users is that setting the pagename must be done before the page bottom code snippet fires. Direct call rules are great in SPA but depending on your code may still cause race conditions. So digital data layer will be important to be set.

Warn your customers First page load may double fire beacon so they may need to adjust logic there.

Another tidbit often forgotten with SPA tagging is browser forward and back can cause the SPA to not fire direct call rule so check to see if it works to more capture user behaviours.

Level 2

Thanks for the tips, I'll speak to the developer to see how he's set the pagename to fire